All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
I am new here and a little nervous
      #52134 - 03/19/04 06:44 AM
courtneyF

Reged: 03/19/04
Loc: Virginia

I am new here and a little nervous. Not sure why. But this is all new to me. I am 22 and found out a couple of months ago I have IBS. At first I was like Whatever, but now I realize I need to talk to someone about it. this is really hard for me and it is affecting my job and my relationships. I have not felt good for about 2 weeks straight and I am not sure what to do. My doctor said if this new medicine he gave me does not work, he is going to put me on Prozac. I was like I am not depressed, I have a stomach problem. But I realize I stress everything. My boyfrined thinks it is a good idea so I can relax. He says I stress EVERYTHING and when there is something to really stress over I make myself sick over it and he is really worried. Well me too. Sometimes I dont understand why I strees, I just do. Today I feel awful and I just want it to all go away, which I am sure everyone does. Maybe this will be a good thing for me, these boards, I will have people to relate to. All I know is I am so confused about what to eat and what not to eat and medicines and everything. I just feel terrible and I want to feel better, that is all I know.

Courtney

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am new here and a little nervous new
      #52138 - 03/19/04 06:49 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Hi Courtney,
Welcome to the best IBS web site known to man. I am still fairly new here month or so but let me tell u once you keep coming to the board "daily" and familarize yourself with everything it does become very helpful. The people here are great and also very helpful. Anytime you have a question or comment go a head and post it and keep an eye on other posts. This is a great network of people helping people.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

#52142 - 03/19/04 06:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, poor you!

First things first, read up all Heather's diet tips and start trying to do the diet (i.e. cut out triggers and eat with soluble fibre in mind - and tummy! ). I'd also REALLY recommend "IBS: The First Year". It's the Bible for IBSers - I found it an absolute Godsend. It explains more than anyone else ever did.

Part of that is start drinking the herbal teas and try some yoga! Heather's got some yoga postures on this site, but I'd really advise you go to a class if possible. If not, getting a CD or DVD will be invaluable (I like Om Yoga in a Box). The teas will help your tummy and Chamomile tea will help destress you.

Another BIG part of this diet is getting a soluble fibre supplement. Acacia (the one Heather does) is great - I love it.

What meds are you on atm? I'd suggest that you give the diet (and cutting out the triggers) a try before going on Prozac. However, having said that, anti-depressants can really help with IBS. Unless you're actually depressed, you should only go on a very low dose to treat the IBS though. Unfortunately meds can't "cure" IBS - there is no miracle cure. You're probably better off on the diet with no meds, than the other way round (I know I am!).

Good luck. Keep on posting.

Linz

#52143 - 03/19/04 06:57 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

First...Hello and welcome to the board!!

It's totally understandable for you to be scared and unsure about what to do. I myself was exactly the same way.
You should look into getting Heather's books...they are a great start and offer some really great info to help us understand how IBS works and how we can take back control of our lives!!

Feel free to come on these boards and share your experiences and ask as many questions as you need to! We are here for you!!

Hang in there!!

#52147 - 03/19/04 07:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome!!

IBS can be a difficult thing to live with but you CAN live with it and it doesn't have to rule your life once you know how to manage it. As the others suggested, get the books and read all through this site that will get you going.

Check out the library section for why anti-depressants are helpfull for IBS. I have been on several kinds for many, many years. I too thought, well I don't need them because I'm not depressed, but there is more to it than that!! I had to stop my anti-depressant about 1 month ago because I am trying to get pregnant and I can tell you may moods are ALL over the place!! I wouldn't say I'm depressed at all but I have a hard time dealing with day to day things. It seems like I can get upset over the littlest thing, think PMS!!! Don't be afriad of having to take meds to help you control IBS, if it will help at all, why not??

Please keep posting and ask any questions you have. Do you know how to use the search function yet?? That can be very handy!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#52148 - 03/19/04 07:06 AM
courtneyF

I just found this site yesterday so this all new to me. My doctor prescribed me Levsin first and I have been on it for about 6 months and it has not helped for about 2 or 3 weeks now. So, I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Bentyl, so I have to go fill that now. But when I read about it, it did not sound very good for you. I bought some pill Metamucil, but then I read that made you gassy and bloated. So, I need to go get something else bc that does not sound fun. I did not realize until yesterday I was eating all the wrong foods. So, looks like I need to go shopping. Which teas are good for bloating and diahrrea and cramps? Can you get teas anywhere?

Courtney

#52151 - 03/19/04 07:09 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Fennel tea is good for gas and bloating and peppermint tea is just a good tummy soother all together. Herbal teas no caffiene. Cammomile is good too. U can get these in any store.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Shopping new
      #52158 - 03/19/04 07:14 AM
Linz

Oooo, shopping!

Get some soy milk. Don't get too much of one kind as everyone has a preference! Maybe get some choc soy milk as well, for a treat.

Stock up on fresh bread from the bakery. I usually get more rolls than I need and freeze some.

Get white pasta and white rice. These and the breads will be your staples.

Maybe find a recipe that you like the sound of and get the ingredients for that? (Anti-depressants brownies are loved by everyone I think!). But to try and stabilise properly, you should JUST eat soluble fibre foods for a few days. This includes root vegetables, avocadoes, mango and loads of other stuff as well as the bread, pasta and rice, so you won't starve!

I think you can get teas most places, but I'm the UK so it may be different for you. Finding a health store near you would be cool.

Peppermint is generally considered to be the best I think - for all aspects of IBS. But avoid this if you have a problem with acid reflux.

Ginger is for nausea. But, again, avoid this if you have a problem with acid reflux.

Chamomile is a great all-rounder and is also relaxing.

Fennel is for bloating (but some people don't like the licorice taste - you can mix it with others tho).

A lot of coffee places now do herbal teas. Starbucks does a "relaxing" tea with Chamomile in it that I love.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Linz

#52159 - 03/19/04 07:16 AM
courtneyF

I am planning on getting the books. Thanks everyone for being so nice. I know it doesnt have to control my life but sometimes I feel likethere is no choice. And I really did not realize that there were people out there that felt just like me. And this was the only site that was really helpful. I still dont feel good but just having people understand is helping already THANK YOU

Courtney

Glad to help! - nt new
      #52162 - 03/19/04 07:17 AM
Linz

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4998 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review