All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-C, BC, and Lexapro
      #51339 - 03/17/04 06:43 AM
Bek

Reged: 01/24/04

Okay, I have been on BC for a little over 2 yrs. This is around the same time my IBS started. I think it might be a connection, but my doc just put me on Lexapro for 6 months...started in Jan. And I've gained about 10 lbs. Does anyone know if there is a correlation between BC and Lexapro and gaining weight? I didn't gain the weight til I started the Lexapro but I also switched BC at about the same time...Any advice??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C, BC, and Lexapro new
      #51341 - 03/17/04 06:51 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
I'm not sure about Lexapro but I have several female friends who have gained weight shortly after going on, or changing forms of bc. I have one friend who's weight stayed the same on one kind, but when she was switched to one with a different dosage, quickly put on some weight. I have another friend who just went OFF birth control and lost a buncha weight. When I first went on BC, my IBS didn't flare up but now that I think about it, it might have been around the time that I switched kinds that it started getting worse last year. Hmm, maybe... Not scientific evidence, but I hope this helps.:)
-- Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#51350 - 03/17/04 07:19 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

My doc put me on Lexapro 'cause it was least likely to add weight, if that helps. (I have lost 40 lbs and when he was talking about anti-depressants for the mind-gut connection I drew the line: I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT! He laughed and picked the Lexapro. )

It may be the BC.

--------------------

Question For Jen new
      #51358 - 03/17/04 07:47 AM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Jen...I think I remember you saying that you're IBS-A and I was wondering if the Lexapro helped you at all. I'm also IBS-A and having a tough time finding anything that works. Anything you could tell me would be much appreciated!!

Kind of answer for Kimm new
      #51366 - 03/17/04 07:55 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi, Kimm.

I am IBS-A. Yup. I was put in Lexapro about a year ago and I don't think it helped too much if you want the honest truth. I had some depression issues over being sick (and home from work) for so long, and it did help with that.

I actually just took myself off of it, as an experiment. I hate being on meds in the first place, and since I don't think it impacted the IBS and I'm not depressed anymore -it's been long enough to go off- I thought I'd try it.

I have much more sucess following the diet REALLY strictly than I did with the Lexapro.... But that's just me. I know a lot of people like the antidepressants for this!

Adding in HT and yoga to the strict adherance of the diet will be even better for me overall I think...

--------------------

Thanks Jen!! -nt- new
      #51370 - 03/17/04 07:58 AM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Kind of answer for Kimm new
      #51387 - 03/17/04 08:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I recently posted about going off both Lexapro and BC pills! I am trying to get pregnant (i'm so EXCITED, I have been doing home ovulation tests and ovulated on Tuesday so now I have to wait 2 weeks or so to see if my period shows up!) Sorry, got off topic!

It's been just over 3 weeks since I stopped the BC pills which I have been on for 18 years! My IBs started when I was 15, the same time I went on BC. About 2 years ago my DR switched me from Triphasil to Ortho Trycycline. My IBS has been the worst ever the last 2 years! At the time I didn't see a connection. I have been on zoloft, Wellbitrin and just last summer switched to Lexapro. I might have gained 3-4 lbs starting the Lexapro but nothing too serious. I have weened myself off the Lexapro and haven't had any in almost 2 weeks now.

My tummy has felt the best it has in YEARS! The downfall is I have had the worlds WORST headache instead! I hardly ever get headaches so I called the DR and they said it was because of the lack of hormones since going off the BC. I also believe it was partly due to withdrawal from Lexapro.

I'm not real sure that the Lexapro helped with my IBS but it did help my depression over feeling crappy all the time and just made life easier and happier. I'm beginning to think a lot of my IBS was from the BC pills! As I said, its been 3 weeks and very little tummy trouble.

To get back to your original question about weight gain, I think its more likely the BC pills causing weight gain as I have had many girlfriends complain about that.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Kind of answer for Kimm new
      #51496 - 03/17/04 10:28 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I'm also on Lexapro and BC (patch). Supposedly Lexapro doesn't cause weight gain (that's why I'm on it)....but I HAVE gained weight! Who knows why? too many Viennese pastries? stress of starting grad school? I just don't know. But I'm guessing it's the BC and not the Lexapro. That's my 2 cents

--------------------
--Julie

Re: IBS-C, BC, and Lexapro *DELETED* new
      #51524 - 03/17/04 11:22 AM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Post deleted by rick401

#51592 - 03/17/04 01:19 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

Hi I'm new. I have a question as well regarding lexapro.
I just started it a couple of days ago for my IBS-C. I was on elavil for 4 months, which was fine but I gain 10 lbs. and it didn't help w/ the "C", so my Dr. switched me to lexapro. These past two days have been really difficult. The side effects I'm having are scaring me ....but my dr. says that it should go away in a week or two....Here's what I've been experiencing: chills, headache, strained eyes, no sleep, dreams that are fast/weird, and heart beating a little faster, twitching,etc. Has anyone had a similar experience when you initially started Lexapro? and now you are ok with it? thanks,

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 779 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2449

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review