All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5173 - 04/05/03 06:03 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions! Right now most of Tesslouise's suggestions make me want to cry (seem to be very close to tears all the time these days) because they look outrageous from where I am right now. It's the third day of 'rice and just a little bit more" and I'm almost symptom free (the irritation is gone) but my BM's are still terribly 'upset' and probably will be for the next two weeks or so. I'm munching my rice cakes all day long but I've already lost two pounds and it's taken me two months to put on those two pounds!! I must admit I'm feeling terribly depressed thinking that where I was just two weeks ago was not an early stage on the way to a better life but maybe that was it, that was as far as I could personally get, you know, what we call 'stable'. Then I could eat 10 things now it's only five, but still the 10 things do not seem worth living for.
Anyway, I'll look into the hypnotherapy, though I had thought this helped mainly those people with anxiety problems and that's one problem I don't have. I think that apart from being depressed right now, I'm generally quite relaxed (ever since we settled down after the big move which made my IBS so much worse last year).
Anyway thanks once more, I just need time to come out of this black hole, I guess.

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5176 - 04/05/03 06:59 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

sus,
I'm so sorry that your feeling so bad. I know how depressing it is no to be able to eat anything and to lose weight! It seems that I can lose weight so incredibly easily and it takes forever to gain the weight (which i really need to do) It makes me feel so awful when i gain 5 pounds, have an attack, and lose the 5 pounds! Ack! Mabey you should try an antispasmotic to help? When my body absolutly wont accept anything, i stick to applesauce and rice (my safest food) BTW, you said you like to eat rice cakes? WHat are they made of? The only kindof rice cakes they sell around here are made of whole grain brown rice.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Angel - Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5180 - 04/05/03 09:16 AM
susaloh

Hello Concrete Angel!!

Yes, that's what it says on the package, organic whole grain brown rice. There are about ten different brands but they're all made from whole grain rice. I've wondered about the whole grain before, but I do get better as long as I stick to the rice cakes so I guess it's not a trigger. It just can't be. I think without them I would just starve.

It's weird how difficult it is to gain weight. I wouldn't have thought this possible but my body gets kind of settled on a low weight/low energy level and eventually it gets really hard to eat more. That's why I hate this so much. Fortunately I know these days that sugar's okay - so I eat some very unhealthy and sugary sweets after every rice meal, for consolation and for fullness. Do you have this in the States, it's a kind of pink and white bars (fondant) with a taste of peppermint? (the pink is a natural additive if you buy the right brand). A bit like dinner mints without the chocolate.

It's been so good to get all these replies - THANKS!
Susaloh

Re: Angel - Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5181 - 04/05/03 09:39 AM
ConcreteAngel

I LOVE sugar. In fact, I just had 5 pieces of homeade angel food cake. I know sugars not a ibs trigger, but now i feel really nauseous. ::barf:: too much sugar. lol. Okay, anyway, there are some brown rice cakes in my cupboard, im just alittle hesitant to try them, because i never had brown rice before, and its whole gain (which i never had before neither. What kindof sugary sweets can you tolerate?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Hopeless case! Back to basics. new
      #5186 - 04/05/03 11:21 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have actually never put sour cream in my rice. I make my rice with water, onions, salt and pepper.
Sometimes I will add chicken broth into my rice instead of water and it adds tons of flavour. I will also cook
my chicken with chicken broth (just a little to add more moisture).

I have also added mushrooms or garlic or anything else I find in my fridge.

Good news! I have always made my rice like this so luckily I have never had to make changes to my rice.

Hope this helps

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Lana-rice new
      #5187 - 04/05/03 11:25 AM
ConcreteAngel

Lana, you like to rice with mushrooms,onions and garlic? ........wow, thats totally different from the way i eat my rice! I put brown sugar, white sugar,cinnamon,vanilla,salt, and sometimes a chopped banana in my rice. lol white and sweet and good to eat

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Lana-rice new
      #5188 - 04/05/03 11:28 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

You are so cute, Angela. I usually do something like that for breakfast.

But for supper I add those types of things in there. Not all at once because then you just get sick of all the items.
I kinda change 'em up. Depends what I feel like and what I have on hand.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#5189 - 04/05/03 12:17 PM
susaloh

Angel,
I haven't really tried many things, I don't like candies and I love milk chocolate but that's definitely a no-no now unless it's very dark. So really I'm stuck with all these fondant things - there's probably a special word for this in America if you've got it at all. You probably know dinner mints, don't you (it's more of a British thing but I guess you do have them in the States?) So the inside of those, that's fondant, this white stiff cream. It's basically just sugar. Here in Germany at Easter they sell a lot of little figures out of this cream, like little yellow chicks and chocolate covered little nests with little sugar eggs in. I really feel embarassed that I eat these things! Well, one per day, anyway.
Otherwise it's dinner mints of all types. I got this idea
from a German IBS board, actually.

Aha, and one good thing they do here in Germany, that's chocolate covered rice cakes and rice cakes with a (thin) yogurt coating! The little kids take them to school as a snack. They are absolutely delicious! But they do have a bit more fat than desireable (4 g per slice) so I only have one once in a while as a treat for desert!

I'm really curious to hear whether you know what I mean with fondant sweets?!

Take care
Susaloh

#5190 - 04/05/03 12:23 PM
ConcreteAngel

I think i know what you mean by the little sweets. I love fruit snacks, but they are packed with corn syrup, so i have one 3 times a day (after meals) I just like to suck on them and savor the moment :hehe: I also love the candy hearts that they sell around valentines day. They sell after dinner mints, but are made of pure artificial sugar that i cant handle to well. I also love rice cakes. they make a rice cake called apple cinnamon. Theyre mm mm good!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Hypnotherapy for all IBS, not just anxiety-related new
      #5191 - 04/05/03 12:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - We do have fondant candies in the US.

Hypnotherapy works on the brain-gut dysfunction that actually causes IBS symptoms. It is effective whether your symptoms and attacks are anxiety-related or not. Because it is so relaxing, it is helpful for people who have anxiety problems as well, but this is a bonus. If you're having problems when you're totally relaxed and don't feel that anxiety is involved at all, this doesn't make a difference for hypnotherapy. You still have the dysfunction of the enteric (gut) nervous system and that system's interaction with your brain. Hypnotherapy causes physical changes to this system and alleviates IBS symptoms as a result.

I'd really urge you to check Shawneric's posts on the hypno board. There are a TON of helpful links and article info there, and he can explain how hypnotherapy works for IBS in very clear, explicit terms much better than I can.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 549 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review