All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating on vacations
      #5079 - 04/03/03 11:37 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I am going on vacation to Washington DC on April 16th to the 25th. What is the best way to eat with out causing a flare-up of IBS? I know what I should advoid and can eat, but since I'm not making my food and I can't be in the kitchen watching the cook, how do I make sure I will be okay after eating something? I can't pack all the foods I can eat. My husband wants to take some tours, but I'm afraid to go on them. When you're on your own you can stop when you need to, on a tour you stop when they do.

Also what do you pack for the plane ride? We have a 5 hour flight, and I'm not sure if I can eat the meal they will be serving. I called the airline to request a special meal, but they won't do it on snack flights.

Thanks, Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating on vacations new
      #5081 - 04/04/03 12:08 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't know if this random tidbit will be of use to you, but when my 8th grade class went to Washington D.C., a small group I was with ate lunch at the cafeteria at one of the Smithsonian museums, and it was one of the better meals we had all trip, because we could choose exactly what we wished from the cafeteria line. That would be something to consider if the Smithsonian museums were on your agenda.

#5107 - 04/04/03 06:45 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have the same trouble when I decide to go snowmobiling out of town. Around here we go in snowmobile derbys. Everyone packs up snowmobiles (I went with about 15 other people from around town where I grew up) and we head out to another town about 2 hours away or so and snowmobile in fields on a route set out by that town.

Anyways - my problem arose when I couldn't eat the chili or hot dogs and hamburgers they serve on the trail. So I just packed a back pack full of the things I could eat. Because once you get on the trail you are nowhere near a bathroom. And trying to find somewhere for an emergency would not work because there will likely about 100 snowmobiles coming around the corner and catching up to you at any moment!

I just put in a bottle of water, some granola bars and some fruit. My problem was that I couldn't have it freeze so I actually used one of those heat packs people put in the pockets. I put one in the back pack to keep it room temperature. I worked pretty well.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#5118 - 04/04/03 09:10 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

If you're going to be near Union Station, there is a huge selection of cafeteria-style restaurants (like they have in malls) downstairs. You will DEFINITELY find safe foods there, and your companions will be able to please themselves as well.

I carry bagels with me when I know I'm going to be stuck in potentially "dangerous" restaurant situations. I know I'll always find something good to eat later. Pay attention to the safe-looking restaurants (Thai, Vietnamese, Sushi) you see as you roll around town and try to remember their locations for later when someone asks "Where do you want to eat?"

Have a great time in our beautiful capitol and be safe!

#5163 - 04/04/03 09:21 PM
kcj44

Thanks for all the suggestions. My problem is I can not eat any greasy, spicy, MSG, dairy foods. As long as I can eat sandwiches that are not premade, (without mayo, tomatoes), only bread, and meat and lettuce, then I'm okay. I am able to eat pastas, but they have to be yoke free and I know resturants do not use those. I'm just going to take my metamicil 3 times a day if possiable and this should help me. My real problem is I get constipated with all the food and then it hits me and I then get the D.

I'm trying not to think about it and hope for the best vacation possiable.

#5165 - 04/04/03 09:53 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I know how you feel too, Ican sure relate. Up to this year the worst part of the holidays for me was the meals. A few years ago, I WENT TO Disneyland. Instead of looking forwars to all the fun i would have I just worried about igt and couldn't look forward to hte trip. As luck would have it when I got down there everything worked out after all. This is the first year I am actually worry freee although, I do wonder what kind of foods to take as well. one thing for sure lots of breads.

#5182 - 04/05/03 09:57 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Subway sells tukey breast with honey mustard sauce thats under 6 grams of fat! Go to wwws.subway.com for exact ingredient and fat info. Also, BurgerKing sells a chicken whopper that i think is okay. Wendys sell lots of salads if you can tolerate lettuce. Dont forget to pack pretzels,rice cakes, crackers and dry cereal

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#5215 - 04/05/03 09:16 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

I recentl went on my first vacation in years! i have gone back on lotronex which has made life livable, but i did share the same concerns.

my flight also only served a snack. however, you can make requests. i am a vegetarian and they catered to it. i would advise you call the airlines now and let them know you will need a special diet. if it is an am flight tell them you are a vegan (no dairy or eggs). i wound up with a bagel. on the evening flight back i told them i was an ovo-lacto vegetarian and i was served pita bread, hummus, and a wonderful vegan cookie. even if you do consume meat, i would advise making this request and stick to vegan in am flights. that's the meal they usually serve more dairy which isn't safe.

also have some meds handy along with other snacks. the vacation went much better than expected. i was so relaxed, the anxiety went away....but it was waiting for me when i got home again

amy

#5220 - 04/05/03 11:40 PM
kcj44

I did call the airlines and they will not do a special request on a flight that only serves a snack. I figure if it is a sandwich, I'll just eat the rool and leave the meat, if it isn't turkey.

Karen

#5295 - 04/07/03 07:32 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Last time I flew the snack was pretzels. It was Northwest air.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review