All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Attention all IBS-C ers:I Have a question
      #5034 - 04/03/03 04:39 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Okay Pardon My Ignorance, but what kindof diet do people with constipation have to follow? I mean do they follow Heathers diet? I know that the high fiber part is good for them, but do they still have to avoid things like high fat,dairy,spice and fructrose like IBS-ders? Thanks guys!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Attention all IBS-C ers:I Have a question new
      #5046 - 04/03/03 05:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - As strange as it sounds, the same trigger foods tend to cause problems for both d and c. The triggers are foods that are either GI stimulants or irritants. While it's obvious why stimulants could cause trouble for IBS-d, they can also cause or exacerbate constipation. This is because the gut muscles of IBS folks tend to overreact and spasm, to the point where the muscles can "charley horse" and just stay in one sustained contraction. When that happens, constipation (as well as pain) can result. So people with IBS-c need the gentle bowel stability from soluble fiber, but they still need to be very careful with fats and insoluble fiber (which are both stimulants).

Hope this helps.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Attention all IBS-C ers:I Have a question new
      #5119 - 04/04/03 09:18 AM
NANCY595

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Ohio

Everyone talks about cramping and gas. I unfortunately have other symptons and wondered if anyone else does too. I have a continual "scratcy" feeling all thru my intestines. When I am really feeling terrible, I feel as though I am sleeping on "marbles" (on my sides). It is pure misery........

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review