All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is there ANY "safe" alcoholic beverage?????????
      #4974 - 04/03/03 04:58 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I hope everyone out there is doing well (atleast as well as can be expected for us!!). I'm not a big alcohol drinker BUT when my boyfriend and I go out to clubs (maybe once a month) I like to have a few drinks to enjoy the music. Is there ANYthing out there that we can drink in moderation that won't cause an episode? Alcohol usually doesn't affect me (until atleast the next day and I'm in a safe place) but I've been following Heather's advice to the tee and now I'm a little nervous about varying from it. Any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is there ANY "safe" alcoholic beverage????????? new
      #4975 - 04/03/03 05:08 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It depends on the person, I think. Some can't tolerate any whereas I can tolerate one drink as long as it's not on an empty stomach. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all, sometimes, a little. I would suggest white wine - and definitely after eating a "safe" meal. You can always ask for a wine spritzer which is half wine and half club soda - I know - carbonated beverages can be a problem - it's kind of like the lesser of two evils.
Since I'm pregnant now, I've really gotten into non alcoholic drinks. Like a virgin strawberry daquiri or a virgin lime margarita or a lime and tonic, etc. That way you get the funky glass and the "fun" drink - no one other than the bartender has to know there's no alcohol in it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#4977 - 04/03/03 05:28 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I actually find that a glass of red wine after a safe meal seems to settle my tummy and make me feel better, does not bother me. Only one glass, only after eating. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#5050 - 04/03/03 06:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I like HanSolo's advice - I order virgin strawberry daiquiris or something similar too. And I've found that a glass or two (at most) of wine - on a full stomach of soluble fiber foods - is quite tolerable if I'm well-stabilized.

You might make sure you eat safely before going out, then have a glass of water with some soluble fiber tablets when you first get to the bar. Then have a drink, and have some more water as well. That's probably the safest way to handle it, if you can tolerate alcohol (and some IBS folks have zero tolerance). Some people find beer pretty safe, as hops are actually a digestive aid, but the carbonation can trigger attacks so this is a mixed bag. Hard liquor is probably the worst bet, or something with fat in it (avoid pina coladas, Bailey's Irish cream, etc.). Avoid anything coffee, too.

When you get home, have some peppermint or fennel tea and bit more soluble fiber to help keep you stable through the night.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3094 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review