All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another thing to confuse poor Shirl
      #49610 - 03/11/04 10:40 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

As some of you know I am new at this IBS thing still. Well my brother has IBS also not as bad as me he eats ice cream,drinks coffee etc. Doesn't seem to suffer as bad, actually he eats tons of stuff some of us can't. ok, onto my confusion; Heather HELP !! Seeing as this is the only site I like for IBS I live here the other half the time I am not at Zaar. My brother has a IBS book put out by 2 DOCTORS !!! I read it and what they say is different than here somewhat, they say stalk up on the bran etc, fibre etc.like whole wheat bread. I am thinking what is up? Seemed there points (some of them) where different. I know IBS is learning and knowing what things "bug" your belly, but I kind of expect docotrs to be more accurate too don't you? Ha ha that sound funny "bug" your belly. Like that one.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another thing to confuse poor Shirl new
      #49613 - 03/11/04 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - What's the book? You would think that something written by doctors would be accurate, but when it comes to IBS and diet that's often not the case.

For years, doctors have recommended a "high fiber" diet for IBS, without specifying that there is a big difference between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber, and how they physically affect the gut. Doctors should know this, because there are studies going back to at least 1994 showing that insoluble fiber, and specifically wheat bran, does NOT help most IBS folks and actually makes most of them worse. You can read the studies for yourself - they're here on the boards in the Research Library forum, under the "diet" section. There are also studies in there that compare IBS patients taking soluble fiber vs. insoluble fiber and, big surprise, the soluble fiber patients did much better and most of the insoluble fiber patients opted to switch to soluble fiber in the middle of the study. Why don't GI doctors who are writing books about IBS bother to do the research and find this? Or bother to talk to their own patients about how a diet high in wheat bran makes them feel? Or even use common sense to think about how a food that is a huge GI stimulant might not be such a hot idea for people with a physical gut dysfunction that makes them highly over-sensitive to bowel stimulants? I'm as much at a loss as you are.

As an aside, a few years ago I saw the "top GI doc" in Hartford, CT. Nice enough guy, but he actually asked me if I had invented the term "soluble fiber" as he'd never heard of it before. He thought there was just one kind of fiber, and wheat bran was what he gave as an example. I remember sitting there thanking God that I didn't actually need dietary advice from this guy, I'd just been asking out of curiosity to see what he'd say. What really scared me is that he treats patients with inflammatory bowel diseases, and if they eat too much insoluble fiber and have an intestinal stricture, they can get a bowel obstruction that requires surgery or it can kill them.

Well, there's my two cents on the subject!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Another thing to confuse poor Shirl new
      #49618 - 03/11/04 11:04 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Heather,
Thanks for your input i was sceptical when I saw this book, my doctor a GP was NO help he says to em: "Hey guess what you have IBS now on your way". See what I mean what is up with these pple !!!!!! I will find out the name of the book and the author.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 240 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review