All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
MiraLax
      #4938 - 04/02/03 02:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So I took MiraLax last night for my IBS C. It's a laxative that my doc put me on. It took me four anxiety-produced hours to swallow the powder in my water (after my colonoscopy I was TERRIFIED to touch a laxative!!). Still no signs of relief...I'll keeo you posted.

I'm not too keen on taking a laxative--but I don't know what else to try! The citrucel didn't help, the benefiber didn't help, probiotics haven't done the trick, metamucill didn't, and zelnorm didn't......but if anyone has ANY other suggestions than a laxative, I would be SO GREATFUL! My doc. doesn't have time to talk to me...he just prescribes something and tries to get me off the phone between his other patients as soon as possible. How frustrating! I'm concerned that my doc. said if this laxative works he will put me on it long-term. Is that really safe?

Thakns for letting me vent--it's been rough since my IBS diagnosis about 3 weeks ago. It really helps knowing you're all here for me...thanks again!

Lotsa love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: MiraLax new
      #4942 - 04/02/03 02:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - I'd keep taking the soluble fiber supplement at whatever maximum dose you can handle (and whatever is safe to take with the Miralax). This will help keep your gut functioning as normally as possible, so it's a good back up.

I think the hypno tapes will help you - they have had such great results for people when nothing else worked. The other thing to try is yoga - it too can have great results (especially for constipation) when other things just aren't working. Both of these tactics can take several weeks to show results, which is why I'd suggest you keep taking the soluble fiber and stay on a healthy diet. Ideally the Miralax will just be temporary and the other natural alternatives will gradually give results for you.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4948 - 04/02/03 02:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Thank you SO MUCH for responding!!! The doc said NOT to take the citrucel while taking the MiraLax...and he wants to keep me on it long term i it helps. Do you think I should take it for the max. time mentioned on the bottle (a couple of weeks) and then go back to the citrucel?

Yoga is AMAZING--I never would have tried it if it weren't for you! I've been doing it for several weeks now--and it's wonderful! I listened to the tapes for the first time last night--and I'm totaly psyched! I know it will take time--but I have a positive feeling about them--they're very relaxing (and what Mike says makes a lot of sense--I was pretty impressed!)

I know that everything will work out in time--I just don't want to follow my doctor's advice recklessly...

Thanks for being here Heather! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4955 - 04/02/03 04:31 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Ruchie,
I hope your Miralax will start kicking in soon. Its sorta funny, you just want things to get going, and i just want things to stop.hehehe

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 534

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review