All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Sleep solution, maybe
      #4902 - 04/02/03 07:28 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Hey guys, I want to share a suggestion on us getting some rest. I think being worn out is one of the biggest things that can trigger flare ups for me, and I'm hearing many of you say that a hectic life is making things tough and you're tired out. There is a natural substance called Melatonin, you can buy it in vitamin stores like GNC but make sure you get plain melatonin and not one loaded full of other stuff (I mistakenly got one with 5000% DV of Vit B, don't know why! Who needs 5000% of anything?? geez). I learned about this because my oldest son is borderline autistic, something called Asperger's. You'd barely know it anymore but he is still quite active and getting to sleep at night can be very hard. His neurologist suggested this because we are not willing to medicate him, find better solutions through diet modification, etc. But she encouraged us to try it because it is natural, the body produces melatonin when it gets dark out as a signal that it is time for you to go to sleep. Just 1 mg crushed in some drink about a half hour before bed settles him down naturally, but he's very much himself in the morning. During my recent troubles I've taken some, a whole tablet (3 mg) because I was just lying in bed worrying and thinking too much to fall asleep. I can honestly say that it settles me down and helps me get to sleep, but if the baby wakes up in the night I hear her and am alert, and I am not at all drowsy or "weird" in the morning. It doesn't affect my IBS, doubt it would anyone's but don't know that. Anyway, this is just a suggestion if it helps someone, good. We have to take care of ourselves!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sleep solution, maybe new
      #4914 - 04/02/03 10:01 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Thanks for the info. I don't have trouble sleeping, but my boyfriend does. I will pass this on to him!

Re: Sleep solution, maybe new
      #4915 - 04/02/03 10:06 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Another thing that works to help you relax is Valerian...you can find it at health food stores; maybe GNC. It does the same thing as melatonin, relaxes you without the grogginess. It also helps with some mild intestinal spasms. Good luck!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Sleep solution, maybe attn michelle new
      #4924 - 04/02/03 12:35 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Michelle,
How was your son diagnosed with Asperber? We have had a lot of problems with our middle son. He has been diagnosed with Sensory Intergration, but currently he isn't in treatment for it becaue we don't have the money. Right now his school is giving him a battery of tests to see what is wrong with him. Right now we know his has an awesome short memory, but he doesn't know how to process his long term memory (which is a characterists of Aspberger). We will know more May 14th.
Currently his doctor has him on Concerta, even though he hasn't been diagnosed with ADD and Clondine to help calm him down. A full dosage of Clondine puts my son to sleep at night.
He is in First grade and already behind in school. He is where the rest of the class was in October, which is better than when he started first grade. My husband and I can't wait to get answers and to see him feel more confident about himself. The agression is the worse. He doesn't know how to communicate his feelings, so he explodes. My husband and I take turns holding him to keep him from hurting himself and his siblings. This isn't everyday - only when his routine is broken and than beware!!
He is a sweet boy when his behavior and routine is in control. Do you go through this with your son?
Barb

#4951 - 04/02/03 03:48 PM
ecmmbm

Luke was first evaluated by Early Intervention when he was 2 and found to be speech delayed (basically no speech) and then at 3 years old was evaluated by the school system and labelled as being on the "high functioning end of the autistic spectrum". We had him privately evaluated (insurance did cover this!) by a pediatric neurologist who confirmed it and said then that she believed he would one day be considered Asperger's, that he was much more classic case of that then autism. As his speech came around we've gotten to see how amazingly sweet and SMART he is, he is obsessed with animals and computers, and is VERY rigid and dependent on routines. We have him on a modified Feingold diet and it has done WONDERS for his hyperactivity, concentration, and fits of frustrtation. He is on no meds at this time, but before the diet I know they would have wanted him on something to calm him, he can be very wild when he eats artificial colors or certain chemicals. Anyway, this is getting long - he's 4 1/2 now and improved greatly but still requires some accomodations, gets therapies, etc. The melatonin has been a lifesaver though! Because he was keeping himself awake long after we'd put him to bed (at 8) until past 11, then waking up around 4:30 or 5 !!!! Now he's asleep by 9, after calmly looking at books in bed, and sleeps until 6. Thus HE is much happier and so are we! Good luck to you and your son.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#4953 - 04/02/03 04:04 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

You might find the book, The Explosive Child, by Ross Greene helpful. Friends with children who are "explosive" as well as parents I know professionally love this book. It is well-written and Ross Greene has a great background and refreshing perspective.

#4958 - 04/02/03 04:57 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

Hi, Im from Valdese NC and thats really close to you. I know that when Im tired and dont sleep well my gut is awful and i have alot of anxiety. Right now im under alot of stress, because Im in massage therapy school and in doula/labor support training and helping a friend by painting her house in lincolton, so Im very stressed. My hubby is going to try the melatonin, he has fibro and aleep apnea.

--------------------
Gretchen

Re: Michelle - Aspergers! my son too new
      #4964 - 04/02/03 07:42 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Michelle,
My son has Aspergers as well! It would be good to have someone to talk to about it sometime. My email is under my profile if you want to chat.

Trish

Aspergers new
      #4972 - 04/03/03 03:32 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey all,

I'm a highschool teacher and have worked with a few kids who have asperger's syndrome. Could have some tips if you want (especially in handling school in later years. Anyway - call out if you want any basic suggestions

Re: Aspergers new
      #4978 - 04/03/03 05:29 AM
ecmmbm

Thanks - great to know there are folks here who understand. He's a doll baby with the sweetest personality but sometimes it gets hard/old, too.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review