All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather and the Board, THANK YOU!!!
      #4862 - 04/01/03 06:43 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I want to let y'all know that you really helped me a couple of weeks back...I grew up in a very private environment where my mom's IBS was kept secret...and with Heather's help, with the help of the board, and the encouragement of my husband, I've begun telling people I have IBS! It's VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO DO THIS--and I agonize for days beforehand--but I'm doing it, slowly but surely. Hopefully at some point I won't get anxious about this anymore and it won't be a big deal--but I took my first steps with the support and encouragement you've all helped provide. Thanks for the encouragement and support--I love you all! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You're welcome! You should be so proud!!! new
      #4863 - 04/01/03 06:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hugs to you too!

xxoo
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather and the Board, THANK YOU!!! new
      #4886 - 04/02/03 05:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I was also really embarrassed when my IBS started. After a while, I realized, hey, I didn't choose this. So who cares? I tell people that I have it. Know what the most common response is? "Oh, I know so and so who has it too." Up to 20% of the population has this. So, it's likely that people already know about it and of someone who already has it. If they don't, I tell them. Why be ashamed of a medical condition? People aren't afraid to say they have diabetes or heart disease. So why IBS. HEather's right. You should be proud.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Heather and the Board, THANK YOU!!! new
      #4887 - 04/02/03 05:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks SO MUCH! I think it will get easier each time I tell someone...but for now it's a BIG DEAL! It sounds like many people on the board have been where I am now...which helps A LOT! I still don't know how Heather ever managed being so alone in this--she's truly amazing! I don't know what I'd do without you guys (probably suffer in silence!) Some people might not understand IBS or they might think it's all in my head but knowing that everyone on this board is going through what I'm going through helps me to remember that it's certainly NOT all in my head! And--it's not my fault! You're right! I didn't ask for this (just like someone doesn't ask for diabetes, etc.). And at least I'm trying to be healthy and to make the most of it (by asking people to make me a baked potato when I come over, etc.). I think my biggest fear is people not understanding, thinking I'm weird, getting grossed out, being insulted that I don't want to eat their home cooking, etc. But, if they truly care about me, they will want what's best for me (at least that's what I keep telling myself). It's HARD! But, like I said...I think it will get easier as time goes on!

Thanks so much HanSolo for responding!!!!! Take care!

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks so much Heather!!! -nt- new
      #4889 - 04/02/03 06:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Relatives and Friends new
      #4976 - 04/03/03 05:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ruchie, I have NEVER had a loved one (family or friend) be disgusted or frustrated with my restricted diet. For example, I just had dinner at my best friend's house this past weekend. She called me and told me what she was planning on having and said "can you eat this?" (It was make your own tacos with beef or chicken and add your own toppings so it was perfect). Don't be shy about saying No, I can't eat this but then always suggest to bring something that you can eat. Usually, there's at least SOMETHING that I can eat - ie. buns, salad, etc. You will be amazed how wonderful friends and family can be. If they're not - that's their problem not yours.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Relatives and Friends new
      #4986 - 04/03/03 07:55 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

When you attend a function that you are not sure will have any items for you to eat, bring your own. The last party I went to had this menu: Appetizers: Potato Chips and Fried Coconut Shrimp: Pork, corn cooked in cream, green beans soaked in butter, potatoes cooked with cream cheese, sour cream and cheese and garlic butter soaked bread and salad. There was not one thing I could eat safely, so I chose what I thought was the least harmful, salad w/non fat dressing. Boy was that a wrong move. On an empty stomach it tore me up the next day. Now, I'll be bringing an appetizer AND a dish to share. I just need a good casserole type of dish that everyone will enjoy along with me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4800 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 786

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review