All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: daughter with IBS new
      #48461 - 03/06/04 10:02 AM
tanyak

Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Knoxville, TN

Hi, once again let me stress/and my husband, that there are a lot of drugs out there given to children that are indicated for adults only. Mainly because Pharmaceutical companies do not "do trial runs" on children. It is up to you and your doctor to decide the next path for your precious little one. "I understand." We really do. Our daughter is on Methotrexate-very powerful drug. It is given in higher forms for chemotherapy. It helps control her pain, but has some nasty possible side effects. Just be careful. God bless.

--------------------
TANYA

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#48549 - 03/07/04 11:24 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Christina,
So sorry to read about your daughter. As a parent is very diffcult to see your child suffer and feel helpless.

My 9 year old son has had the same problems and he is doing much better. We discovered dairy is causing his problems, plus he was being bullied at school. Combined stress caused stomachaches, headaches and yes his arms and legs hurt occasionally (we told him it's growing pains).

The only testing he had done was an x-ray and the x-ray showed he was full of poop. He takes Mirlax as needed and mostly follows my diet.

The other thing we discovered is foods with whole wheat give him stomaches. This morning he wanted a bowl of raisin bran and by the time we got to church his stomach was hurting.

As surprise Bev was about stress in small children - it sure can happen. Schools put more pressure on children than we were in school. My third grader is learning how to reduce and add fractions. Your doctor can be right about stress causing the pain, but like everybody said get a proper dx.

The other we did was have our son talk to the school counselor about what is bothering him. Now when he feels stressed at school he talks to the school counselor.

I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers and feel free to e-mail me.

#48622 - 03/07/04 07:46 PM
christina

Reged: 03/04/04

Hi Barbara,
I wanted to ask you if the stomach and back pain ever wakes your son up at night? The difficult thing is I don't necessarily see a pattern as far as eating and then having pain. It seems to come on many times when her tummy is empty which is why I thought they should test for an ulcer. She will say that she needs to eat because her stomach hurts and then she usually feels better. Weird, but maybe that's also common w/ ibs? I don't know.

The first thing her doctor did last year was take her off of all dairy but found out that was not the problem. I may have been giving her too much fiber as she loves fruit and veggies and we used to mostly eat whole grain breads, etc., until I got Heather's book. Now we are all eating sourdough.

We also had the school counselor talk to her off and on last year and she helped getting our daughter moved into the classroom w/ one of her sisters. ( The principal really fought us on this and felt she would eventually settle in! ) . The counselor hasn't seen her at all this year but now that you mention it I will request that she see her again.

Thanks again. Christina

#48676 - 03/08/04 08:08 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My son doesn't get back pain, but yes stomach pain use to wake him up.

The important thing to remember is not to let her stomach get empty. IBS suffers need to eat throughout the day to avoid an attack.

This happened to me Friday night at work. We were so busy I didn't get my first 10 minute break and it was 7:00 before I ate supper. I hadn't eaten anything for six hours and I was in alot of pain. I wasn't able to eat alot, but just having some food in my stomach helped.

If your daughter doesn't get snacks at school - it is a good idea to talk to her teacher about the importance of eating a morning and afternoon snack.

Another reason why dairy can be a problem, because it can cause C. Do a google search about dairy and C and you will find alot of great info about it. I am not lactose intol., but dairy causes C.

Another thought too is - does your daughter have acid reflux problems?

Hope this info helps you and good luck. Keep us updated on her situation.

#48843 - 03/08/04 09:07 PM
christina

Reged: 03/04/04

Yes, she has a history of acid reflux. All three girls had it after they were born because they were premature but it seemed to disappear once they gained weight.Her GI said she probably still has it.
Good idea - I will do a search on dairy and C. because she loves milk and that is most likely not helping things!
Thanks. Christina

#48853 - 03/09/04 12:46 AM
ChrisR

Reged: 03/08/04

I would suggest getting her blood Glucose level checked out also. I am now 21 and remember anxiety and IBS symptoms starting as early as kindergarden. I use to get panic attacks about rideing on a school buss and spontaneous diarrhea resulted. I have just made a post about Hypoglycemia in relation to IBS.(Warning about IBS and sugar)that you might find helpful. If my theory thus far is correct, and I will be testing many things within this month. Then I may have had this problem ever since that age. I dont think she should be on an anxiety medication at such an early age. I hate doctors who love to prescribe medication for everything! Simple deficiencies may be the key. I believe that everything we need in the world is found naturally in the environment. So why should we take synthesized drugs? In my experiences they make you feel worse.

God Bless,
Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review