All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No happy medium
      #47287 - 03/01/04 09:34 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

My first post! I have been battling IBS for years, but not until Heather's book came into my life have I had any control at all. I am a partial paraplegic who suffers incontinence problems from my injury- combine with IBS/D and it makes for a messy combo.
Anyhoo, my question is that I seem to do well with soluable fibers, but tend to go too far and get a little C sometimes. Are there foods out there that are just a "little" insoluable that might be easy to introduce to see if it can normalize things?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No happy medium new
      #47357 - 03/01/04 02:46 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome to the boards!! I too have IBS-D combined with a disability (which makes cooking from scratch difficult to say the least).

My favorite easy combo of soluble and insoluble is cracked wheat bread which is usually made with some white flour and some whole wheat.

Oatmeal is also a food that contains both. I get the packets of McCann's or Quaker instant and do them in the microwave.

Good luck and keep coming back!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#47382 - 03/01/04 06:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Laura Sue's got great suggestions for you. Also, you could try adding some cooked insolubles to your diet. Something like cooked peas, beans, pureed fruit - Heather's strawberry smoothie is a perfect blend of both soluble and insoluble - half a banana, a dash of honey, some strawberries and a bit of soy milk. Throw it in the blender - it's awesome.
Rule of thumb for insolubles - cook, mash, peel and puree. Any or all apply to your choice. Try some and see how it goes.
By the way, welcome to the board!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#47409 - 03/02/04 04:03 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Welcome to the boards.

Laura gave great suggestions and try oatbran hot cereal for breakfast. It has both fibers in it and works great for C.

#47418 - 03/02/04 06:38 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Thanks so much for your suggestions. It's amazing to finally have somewhere to go for support and answers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6779 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review