All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: When do attacks occur? new
      #47240 - 02/29/04 05:38 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

My worst wasn't a fancy restaurant (although it has happened). My worst was on a trip, met up with a really cute german exchange student. We were having lunch and it did not agree with me, excused myself and used the washroom, for a long time. I think I feel better, we hang out and talk for a bit more and then we leave, just as we're driving out of the parking lot I get that "uh oh" feeling in my stomach. Go back and park, do "the walk" back into the restaurant while my date waits in the car, and I'm in there in pain for another 20 minutes. She was really good about it, but still, it sucked.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The walk new
      #47246 - 02/29/04 05:54 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh I so get this. It's definitely one for the school of funny walks! You guys just crack me up. Love you loads!

Ha! Amateurs! new
      #47300 - 03/01/04 11:13 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

How about a second date with a really cute and smart guy you've had your eye on for months...

I've always been able to tolerate a beer or two in the past. He offered me a Belgian Wheat Beer. Sure, I say, thinking: thank goodness I had some bread in the car on the way here! Yay, another good tip from Heather.

Just one, I say, and smile. We toast, we drink, we chat, we flirt, we walk to a nearby tapas restaraunt. We order 2 tapas each (I pick things that are IBS friendly. What a "good doobie" I am, I think.)

We're talking. We're chatting. UH OH...

I get a familiar feeling...

I excuse myself politely and do "the walk" (I love it!) to the bathroom. It's a tiny 2-staller and both stalls are full. Nice. I wait, trying to breathe slowly and calmly.

I finally get in to "do my thing" and realize it's much much MUCH worse than I thought. I'm doubled over. Tears running down my cheeks. The 2 staller is no longer the lovely place it had been before I entered! I'm panicky, sweaty, and want to vomit. 15 minutes later I emerge, embarrassed, to apologize to my date (whom I had not told about my IBS before the date!). I made a brief explanation and decline any more alcohol (that he had considerately ordered for me while I was gone!).

Not 3 minutes later.... UH OH...

I realize at this point I am screwed. It's the first of 4 more visits (at 10 miutes a pop!) to the little teeny bathroom. On this 2nd visit, more tears. On the third visit I make a panicked call to my best friend 'cause I'm convinced I will die in this potty! How on earth am I going to drive the 1 hour home!? (IBS-Ders, you know the feeling, I'm sure!? That "let me make my will out now, 'cause I'm not gonna make it out of here alive PANIC!)

When I finally came out the last time (3 hycosamine later), I was a little more under control. The last thing I wanted to do was eat, but I tried to be polite. After dinner, we had to walk back to his place, where I made my excuses and went home. Made it home ok, but slept for 2 days.

By the way, the 3rd time I emerged from the bathroom, the waiter and my date are conversing and the waiter expresses concern. Even asked if the food were the problem. Oy!

(Yes, my date actually asked me out again! Can you believe it!? )

PS: This was my first indication that quite possibly wheat and I are not the friends I believed us to be!

--------------------

Re: Gotcha Both Beat new
      #47349 - 03/01/04 02:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yup, Bev, you got me beat on that one. Boy, that must have really sucked. (Can we use that word here??!!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#47351 - 03/01/04 02:34 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yeah, I know the walk well! My mom just had to do "the walk" on the beach last week during my visit. She didn't quite make it and was SOOOO embarrassed, bless her heart. This dd is so frustrating.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: All these " the walk" stories! new
      #47377 - 03/01/04 05:07 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

All these "the walk" stories remind me of that Imodium commercial - the one with the girl with the headphones doing "the walk"!

Jen - yes, I think we are amateurs compared to you. I'm glad the guy asked you out again.

#47378 - 03/01/04 05:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Yeah, I know the walk well! My mom just had to do "the walk" on the beach last week during my visit. She didn't quite make it and was SOOOO embarrassed, bless her heart. This dd is so frustrating.

Laura - you're poor mom. I have not quite made it myself once, and can relate to how embarrassing it is. Got to love the wonderful life of Bitchy Bowel.

IT'S OFFICIAL---IBS-D WINS!!!! IBS-D WINS!!!!!!!! new
      #47400 - 03/01/04 09:43 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Oh, MY God.......I honestly cannot believe my eyes reading this.....Yes, I am an IBS-C who was convinced my problem was worse....even did a poll on it....and IBS-D kept winning. NOW I KNOW WHY. That was the most descriptive and helpful anecdote as to what you guys go thru. I can't imagine that....I mean, I can....WHEN I'VE HAD THE FLU. I cannot imagine having that just come on you at any given moment. I know that each facet of IBS is bad, but honest-to-Pete, that is the worst, and puts my sitting on the toilet with nothing happening and my own cramps and bloating to shame.

Jen.

#47402 - 03/02/04 02:51 AM
k-may

Reged: 03/02/04
Loc: Rochester, MI

I think it varies with everyone who has IBS, and for me, it varies with the trigger, the amount, and sometimes it takes a combination of factors to set things off. With the help of all of these good people, I've learned A LOT about foods that can set things off: stuff I never would have guessed can be a problem, CAN BE.
My strategy is to eat more safe foods and minimize trigger foods while walking the fine line of insoluble fiber, and I have been doing really well lately!!

Thanks for the laugh.... new
      #47407 - 03/02/04 03:51 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

this morning. Pretty scary I have to read stories about the walk to make me laugh.

I'm IBS C and just can't relate to your stories, but I do appericate how you can use humor to tell your stories.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23455

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review