All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
very confused, need some advice
      #4682 - 03/31/03 05:18 PM
tahi

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: toronto ontario

okay well, i guess i should start with an intro, hi everyone my name is tahi, i just turned 18, and i've recently been diagnosed with ibs (the same day i turned 18)

im soo confused, honestly i have no clue about ibs, and what i shold be doing about it. I've always had problems with going to the washroom, but i guess it's just getting worse and worse. I've passed out unconcious so many times, i sometimes go diareah 17 times a day, then i'll be constipated for about a whole week. AND THE PAIN! oh my gosh, i have never had such horrible pain before, i honestly feel like im going to die because of my stomach pain, and there's nothing i can do about it. My gi doctor just told me to drink metemucil, but it is not working at all, im so depressed honestly, the smallest things are getting to me, and i notice that when im angry or upset i almost fall down in pain.

What should i do? I thought maybe this is good for me to do, type it out here, maybe get some support or some advice. My brother got my heather van vorous's book, im slowly reading it, i almost cried when i read about what she went through as a child, because it feels like exactly what im going through right now.
is there anything i can ask my doctor? For pain, or about my constipation?

Also, im curious, does anyone else have a feeling in there neck, like theres a ball stuck there, and sometimes it's very hard to swallow? My doctor said this must be because of the ibs..im not sure about that..could it be acid reflux?

I have no clue, all i can say is im glad that i came across this message board, id really love to hear from some other people, advice would be great right now.
i've also lost over 45 punds in 3 months because of this...

thanks for reading.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: very confused, need some advice new
      #4688 - 03/31/03 05:30 PM
Lisa

Reged: 03/28/03

So sorry to hear what you're going through. I found out that I was Lactose Intolerant when I was in my late teens. Before that I always had stomach trouble and for whatever reason my family told me I should drink milk to sooth my tummy! Hah! Were they ever wrong. Once I discovered the dairy connection I improved immensely. However, I didn't realize until many years later that there is milk in so many products, any thing with milk chocolate for example.
And since discovering the IBS connection I am careful to eat things like salad after a meal (get Heather's book!).

But the most helpful thing I have found is to always read ingredients on new items and never be afraid to ask what's in something you order or when you're at a friends for a meal. A little embarassement is far better than the intense pain. In the beginning I felt like everyone knew my most private bathroom issues but it's been worth it. When I go to friends for dinner they remember what I can't eat or they'll ask me what they should avoid. ALso remember that you will need a healing period - eating bland foods, etc.

In our area we have a doctor's group that specializes in digestive disorders and IBS. I haven't been to see him since mine seems under control but I wish they were around 20 years ago.

Good luck and be patient.

#4699 - 03/31/03 07:07 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Tahi and welcome - we're very informal and friendly here so please feel at home.

Your age is very similar to Concrete Angel who lives on the East Coast (NJ). Maybe you two could converse because you both sound like you're going thru the same things.

There's a good site that was mentioned by shawneric that is specific to what you should ask your doctor. I'll see if I can find it for you. Here it is:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?li=DIG&articlekey=13683

I think you might find better answers from this board, tho. The docs don't seem to know much about IBS and what to do for it. Heather's an expert and if you direct a post to her, she'll do her best to answer you as fast as she can.

Some other posters mentioned stuff about feeling something in their necks. You should SEARCH (at the top of the page) and use the words/phrase to search "lump in throat" or something similar to see the previous string(s) on this problem. I did the search and "lump in throat" works. When you click on SEARCH, the first box you should select ALL FORUMS, and the last box you should pick no time limit. Hope it works for you. If not, post back and we'll try to help.

Sometimes IBS takes a while to get a lasso on in reference to quieting down pain, diarrhea and constipation. Try to be patient and talk to us a lot--believe me it'll help just knowing that there's tons of us out here who've gone through the same things.

We have posters as far away as Japan, Germany, Ireland, Auzzie-land, France and the UK, as well as all over Canada, and across the US.

Again, welcome and we'll try to help any way we can.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (03/31/03 07:11 PM)

#4739 - 04/01/03 01:51 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey there,

I wanted to let you know that I also have that lump feeling in my throat sometimes - feels like there's a golfball trapped there. Apparently my doc said it could be due to acid reflux and gave me some losec tabs for it but it doesn't help. I've found stuff like gaviscon does work though. Good luck

#4751 - 04/01/03 05:51 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First of all, Welcome to our board. You came to the right place. Ask any questions you like - it's likely some of us or many of us have been through what you are going through. We understand and are here to help.
I love just south of London - so it's nice to have another Canadian local on board!
Now: here are some things that you need to read NOW. You will feel better - it will not always be like this. See the blue and white icon at the top of the board called "The first year IBS"? Click on it - there is TONS of information about starting to deal with IBS. It's also another great book if you want to purchase it. Another section is on this website called breaking the cycle of attacks, and a new way to eat (just click on dietary guidelines at the opening of this board under diet board.). Be sure to post any questions you have and use the search button to look up old posts about things you were wondering about.
Finally, honestly, my GI was useless. He told me I have IBS and to eat more fiber. That was it!!!! A lot of docs out there have NO CLUE how to help us.
For constipation, drink TONS of water, and start exercising - I know you're probably worn out from attacks - but it will help - even a little stroll around the block once a day can help.
And lastly, most of us are avid tea drinkers. Peppermint is good for all things, fennel for gas, chamomile and ginger great for nausea. You might want to try some. Can't hurt.
Take care, and welcome. Hope to hear from you soon.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#4775 - 04/01/03 10:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Tahi - Welcome to the board! HanSolo is right, things will get better, though I know it's hard to believe that when you're in so much pain.

I would start drinking strong, hot peppermint tea right away - it's a pain reliever. And try the "breaking the cycle" info at web page

There's info on that same page about taking a soluble fiber supplement - I'd add that in right away, but start slowly. This will help regulate your gut muscle contractions and stop those spasms you're having.

Ask any other questions - we're here to help!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4791 - 04/01/03 01:21 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Awww, sweetie, I hope you start to feel better soon! Eat lots of rice, that can be binding!!! I know how bad the pain can be from IBS, it's been so bad for me, that I've nearly passed out as well, back in the day. It's not fun. A few times, I'd be walking to the bathroom, or back to my bed after being in the bathroom for hours, and I'd fall over in pain!!! I haven't had pain like that tho since I've started eating safely for IBS. You said you have one of Heather's books already, I'm not sure which one you got, but definately get the other one! Both are excellent books, and I've learned soooo much from them! Once you get your IBS under control (and you will), things will be awesome! I mean, you will still have your bad days, but it will be less often. It won't be everyday. I hope you start to get some relief. I was reading your post, and I even had tears in my eyes. It sucks when ppl on here are in so much pain, especially the newcomers, that are newly diagnosed, and have no idea that it does and it will get better!!!! It has for me!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review