All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveling...food advice?
      #45290 - 02/17/04 05:02 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have to go on a business trip in 2 weeks. The compnay hosting it has said to call if you have any special dietary needs. I would like to call, but what do I say?? I am technically not vegetarian, but would eat that way if it was an option. Any advice? Thanks!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling...food advice? new
      #45310 - 02/17/04 07:08 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

You're right, our diet is a little hard to classify sometimes! Maybe you could call and just tell them that you have food intolerances and can't eat dairy or red meat? Maybe that way they'll make sure they have a dairy-free selection that's either vegetarian or poultry. Just a thought!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#45326 - 02/17/04 08:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good idea Kree. I'd definitely call...most places like this just want to make you happy (cos that makes their life easier ) and it'll make you so much less stressed. If you say no dairy, no red meat and no fried food, then you're sorted. Oh, and take your own soya milk. Mine comes everywhere with me! And safe-snacks for when you get boredom munchies!

#45332 - 02/17/04 08:34 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Hi Christianne,
I have to do business functions about 5 times a year and stay where they serve mostly buffet breakfast or lunches.
For breakfast usually you can find a safe in room service menu. Request egg beaters or there egg substitute and order the toast on sourdough hold the butter. Pack some snacks in your suit case for emergencies. Call ahead to your company organizer and ask whats for the menu while you stay and request in specific cooking directions what you need. Just explain to them that you have food allergies and it's important to get it right. If your organizer can't help you then call the hotel themselves and request special orders for the luncheon part or dinner whatever it may be and ask them to fax a menu of there food prior to your meeting.
I know it seems like alot but believe me, You'll be glad you did and you'll have a great time not worrying about what your going to eat. Good Luck and have a good time!!

#45451 - 02/17/04 06:23 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ask for vegetarian, dairy free and low fat.
That about covers the main bases. Make sure you take/buy a lot of soluble fibers - ie. buns, oatmeal packs, crackers etc. and fill up on them before going down to the dining room.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#45466 - 02/17/04 07:47 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Our diet is so difficult to classify that I haven't quite figured out yet what meal to order on an airplane! There's such a long list of meals for special dietary requirements (lactose free, vegan, kosher, etc.), but none of them seem to quite fit the IBS diet.

Any suggestions on what to order when flying? Personally I have taken to bringing my own food on board. I travel with sandwiches in a small cooler. U.S. Customs has only confiscated my sandwiches once -- when I brought roast beef sandwiches (man, did I starve on that 5 1/2-hour flight). That was before I knew about Heather's diet and the fact we weren't supposed to even be eating roast beef.

Belinda

Airplane food new
      #45485 - 02/18/04 03:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I haven't found any airplane food I like, so I always take my own, even if its just a sandwich bought in the airport. I never understand how they can even make bread rolls taste strange on planes...ewww!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 808

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review