All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia???
      #45277 - 02/16/04 08:25 PM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

I just purchased the Acacia and I'm actually afraid to use it.

I have IBS D and sometimes C. I know Heather says to take fiber. But, I am afraid to eat anything with a lot of fiber in it. Once I had oatmeal and I had such D that day.

Will Acacia do the same thing? Will my bowels have to get used to the fiber? Will I need to just take a little at a time until my body gets used to the fiber?

Your reponses will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia??? new
      #45313 - 02/17/04 07:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Heavenlee. There have been tons of posts in the past about acacia. If you do a search you should find a ton of info on it! As for your fear of taking soluble fibers, you really shouldn't be afraid! I was at first too, but they're a HUGE help. They really do help either D or C. Oatmeal is actually a whole grain, and so it does bother some people (like me) sometimes, but pure soluble fiber shouldn't as long as you start with a low enough dose and work up. Heather explains the dosages really well here. In my mind, a lot of it is about finding the supplement that works best for your body too. The acacia works great for lots of people, but some people prefer others like Citcrucel. I would recommend starting the acacia really slowly and see how it works for you! Don't worry, we're here if you have any other questions about it!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#45323 - 02/17/04 08:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck with the acacia! Don't be afraid of it - soluble fibre supplements are likely to help your IBS more than anything else - they did mine! And I had to start taking Fybogel (the only one available over here) which is soooo GROSS! But it helps oh so much.

#45362 - 02/17/04 10:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - think of the Acacia as a supplement of just plain white rice, or plain white breads. It's just soluble fiber, no insoluble, and it should really help stabilize your gut and make you feel better.

There's info about how soluble fiber foods work here web page and there's a whole FAQ on Acacia here web page

Start with just 1/2 level teaspoon twice daily, and gradually increase that dose.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review