All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I have to have help new
      #4540 - 03/30/03 01:43 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you are that constipated, I would try getting some exercise, and drink tons of gallons of water. Read Heather's section on how to break the cycle of attacks on this website. Just click on dietary guidelines, I think. It can take a while to ease the constipation but you will get there. Hang in there in the meantime.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#4549 - 03/30/03 04:05 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Meg - have you had all the tests (colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc.) to rule out other problems. The endoscopy where they down your throat will tell them if you have gastritis (inflamation of the stomach, which is painful all the time, especially after eating something). So, what you're saying is that bland chicken and rice cause you no pain?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re:replying to Meg new
      #4554 - 03/30/03 04:23 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Meg,
I went to Urgent Care the day after intense pain and blood tests were ordered to check my pancreas levels, liver, CBC and I'm not sure what else. That is how it was discovered. Pancreasitis usually lasts up to 24 hours. The number one cause for pancreasitis in women is Gallstones. In men the number one cause is alchol.
However, my problem is unknown. I had a Hydascan to check my gallbladder function and it is normal. I'm not a doctor, so I don't want to hand out advice. From my reading about pancreasitis it is possible you have gall stones that is causing the pain to not go away. Sharon mentioned Gastroitis, and left untreated it can cause constant pain. I had that too and lost a lot of weight in a short peroid of time.
You need to see a Doctor this week, whether it is a Gastro. or Primary Doctor. Walk into an Urgent Care and be see immediately and be very clear with your symptoms and how long it has been going on.
Good luck and please let us know what happens.
Barb

Meg - see a GI new
      #4562 - 03/30/03 05:20 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I recently went to a GI, my pains had gotten me to the point where I was no longer eating much of anything and had lost 20 pounds in a couple months time. Not that I minded losing 20 pounds but any more and I'll be underweight so don't want that, I believe in being healthy not skinny! But the point is there were enough red flags that he ordered the colonoscopy and ECG (from the throat down) scopes done, just did it last week. I won't tell you it was fun but it was not bad either. I am waiting for biopsy results from my colon and stomach both, but for now I do know so much more than I did: I had some polyps removed (good to get those out), my colon is so twisted it's practically a pretzel (definitely contributes to my problems with C and cramping, never knew that!), and the main culprit is that I have gastritis (a condition of the stomach sort of like an ulcer, not part of IBS and not something that is going to go away by itself, most likely a bacterial infection that needs antibiotic). So... my point is that if you have tried treating all this as IBS and not seen good improvement you should get pro-active and find out what really is and is not going on, and don't let any Dr just "write you off" without taking you seriously. Good luck and I hope you get some answers and some relief too!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Meg - see a GI new
      #4566 - 03/30/03 05:28 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I completely agree with Michelle, make sure you see a GI. I too have other symptoms other than those associated with IBS (chronic heart burn) I got an upper endoscopy done and was diagnosed with acid reflux disease (or GERD)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Meg - see a GI new
      #5584 - 04/09/03 05:14 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

I cast my vote, too, for seeing a gastroenterologist right away. Do you live near a medical college with a university hospital? They sometimes have excellent diagnostic facilities (that's not to say that non-university docs aren't great too - they just usually don't publish papers, or get the peer review that teaching docs do). I emailed a pediatrician at the Children's Hospital here in Cincy (they have a world-class pedes research and treatment facility here), and asked him to recommend some adult GEs - and he did! You'd be surprised how generous some of the "best" doctors are with their time. I hope you find a caring, thorough doctor very soon!

#5670 - 04/10/03 11:53 AM
skeeter

Reged: 04/10/03

I have a lot of the same problems with you. I can tell you it will get better but it is a very rough road. I'm still struggling everyday and feel like there is no hope at moments. I finally had a coloscopy done and found out not only do I have severe IBS, I also have a severely twisted colon. My pancrease doesn't like to work much either. Maybe we can help each other conquer this. Just don't give up. Keep your chin up. If you get too stressed and worried it will only make it worse. I would

#5671 - 04/10/03 11:56 AM
skeeter

Reged: 04/10/03

I have a lot of the same problems with you. I can tell you it will get better but it is a very rough road. I'm still struggling everyday and feel like there is no hope at moments. I finally had a coloscopy done and found out not only do I have severe IBS, I also have a severely twisted colon. My pancrease doesn't like to work much either. Maybe we can help each other conquer this. You might want to make sure you don't have any problems with your colon. Just don't give up. Keep your chin up. If you get too stressed and worried it will only make it worse.

#5682 - 04/10/03 02:13 PM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03

Meg~

I was having the same problem a couple of years ago, with pain in the same place you are having it. I really couldn't eat anything, even jello or applesauce would upset my stomach. I was very nauseous, had vomitting and d. I had some blood tests run and they found that my pancreas enzymes were elevated, but a GI doctor I went to in Cincinnati said that vomiting can cause an elevation in the pancreatic enzymes. He ordered all kinds of tests, especially for the pancreas, but all came back normal. There was one test that he did himself to check the pancreas, but he said he didn't want to do that because it could cause pancreatis and once you get that, you always have it. I will try to find the name of the test that he didn't want to do and also the name of the one that they did on me to look at the pancreas. The doctor told me there was nothing wrong with the pancreas and I had IBS. He said I should be able to eat anything I wanted to. He sure doesn't know much about IBS. I came home that same day and found out everything I could about IBS on the internet. Heather's web site has been extremely helpful. Once I started following some of her diet suggestions, I began to feel better. I also think going on Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant), which the doctor gave me, helped a lot too.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through right now. I really do feel for you. I will try to email the name of the test that they did to look at the pancreas if I can find it on the internet. I'll sure say a prayer for you.

#5692 - 04/10/03 03:19 PM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03

Meg~

The test that the doctor did not want to do was an ERCP on the pancreas and the one that I had done was an MRI.
Good Luck!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 770 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review