All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I survived a 4 day trip away...
      #44226 - 02/10/04 07:22 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

We went to Sydney for a wedding last Friday and came back Tuesday. My husband, son, sister,mum and dad all came along.

Even though I have been "managing" IBS for some time now I still get nervous about eating out, going away etc.

This trip was particularly tricky as I felt I didn't want to spoil everyone else's fun by saying "there's nothing for me to eat here" or "can we go somewhere else?".

I did say those things though and realised that sometimes it's hard for others to understand the eating "rules". Mum was convinced that the McDonalds chicken salad was the perfect meal for me just because salad is healthy. I am still trying to explain that you need more SF than inSF with each meal and that yes we eat healthy foods but there are certain guidelines. In any case I just don't like going to McDonlads any way and would rather go to a nice cafe for a turkey sandwhich or something. I think sometimes people just think I'm being fussy because isn't salad good for everyone???? Still I'm getting there I suppose.

Sometimes I get fed up having to cart Benefiber, breads, safe snacks around everywhere even though I know I need to in order to be safe. BTW, any aussies know if we can get SF in tabs anywhere. It wasn't ideal trying to mix up benefiber in a wine glass of water at the wedding!!!!

Another thing I find is that even though a lot of places have soy milk they don't have the low fat varieties they way they do with regular milk.

All in all, though I made it through and it was a fun trip. It is hard not to get a bit fed up though. My husband is so understanding and eats "my way" at home all the time without a single complaint. When we were away he didn't complain either but felt like a nice juicy pizza for lunch. It meant we ate seperately because there wasn't anything for me at the pizza place and I didn't want to deprive him of a food he loves when he's always so supportive of me. It just made me sad though as it would have been nicer to eat together.

Anyway as I said I'm not really complaining just getting some thoughts out I guess.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I survived a 4 day trip away... new
      #44244 - 02/11/04 05:07 AM
mickeymouse

Loc: Canada

Congrats on making it though the 4-day trip! I think I would be too quiet to pipe up and say "I cannot eat anything here". Although, my sister in-law (to be) also has IBS so their family understands.

Though it would have been nice for you and your husband to eat together, it is also nice comprimising. You seem like you have such an understanding relationship together.

Glad you made it and had fun

#44251 - 02/11/04 06:20 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hey Kerrie glad you had a good few days away!! It is to bad we have to carry extra baggage (safe foods and meds)with us but it does mean that we will have a safe trip. Glad you were supportive and letting your husband eat the pizza as he is so supportive of you! How was his tummy after? Take care Sue

HURRAY FOR KERRIE!!!!!!!! new
      #44270 - 02/11/04 08:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Good for you! You stood your ground, you took care of yourself...and what's this? Your hubby is back? I'm sorry if I'm reading into things...I am just excited because it sounds like things are going well for you. I hope to G-d this is true!!!!!

I am SO PROUD OF YOU for at least going out with your fam (sometimes I avoid going out altogether because I'm too embarassed to bring my Benefiber along)...you're an inspiration to me Kerrie!

Wow, 4 days is a long time to be away...and you DID IT! What a milestone! Congrats a million times!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#44271 - 02/11/04 08:29 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Congrats on surviving your trip! Believe me, I understand your frustration... it's a lot easier to follow this diet at home than it is on the road, and it does get annoying at times. But you did it, and that's a great accomplishment!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: yes, hubby is home.. new
      #44468 - 02/11/04 11:31 PM
KinOz

...and he's a lot better. We still have some hurdles to cross but things are much improved in that department.

My step Father in Law (which sounds silly because he's been Brad's stepdad sinces he was about 2 so I normally say father in law but people get confused because Brad's dad had passed away) is still very ill. He has pancreatic cancer and is awaiting chemotherapy. He's had surgery but is so weak that he can't have the chemo yet and now he has just landed himself back in hospital with a blood clot in each leg which isn't good either.

We are taking everything one tiny step at a time. I have had no good baby news to report yet either and I'm sure the sadness I have over that is what is giving me so much trouble with the IBS.

But yes, I survived the trip which is great. We have one planned to Bali in April for 10 days so lets see how I go there!

Sorry I haven't been around much. Are things any better for you Ruchie? I do hope so.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#44469 - 02/11/04 11:34 PM
KinOz

That was a good way of putting it. I do feel I need to support his "unsafe" food choices at times seeing he supports my "safe" ones nearly all the time.

BTW, his tummy was fine the lucky devil. But he does say that he prefers healthy food most of the time now and can notice the difference in how he feels after junk now.

Kerrie

--------------------

#44470 - 02/11/04 11:36 PM
KinOz

..yeh sometimes I feel like keeping quiet but then I think of what the consequences would be if I did and the words "I can't eat here" are out of my mouth before I can stop them.

Kerrie

--------------------

Congrats kerrie, and i know how you feel new
      #44489 - 02/12/04 04:30 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Kerrie, that's wonderful news, good for you on staying healthy and on track. I understand how you feel though. I'm new to the IBS diet thing so of course i've never had to say "i can't eat here" or "there's nothing here i can eat" but I hear it out of my mouth more now. The kitchen is more stocked with food i can't eat because we went shopping before i knew this IBS diet existed or even worked. I trust that it works though if only i can get more of what i need. My diet is so poor right now it's not even funny. It should get better when my money situation gets better though. I hope.

Good luck with everything. Your step father-in-law is in my prayers. I've been there too, my grandmother had pancreatic cancer and it's really a tough road.

My hubby has been eating popcorn, the super butter kind, which i really like. I prefer regular butter, but it doesn't matter now. I can't have most of the food we have right now. I hate it, i hate it, i hate it. I still offer to cook for him though because the food does need to be eaten and he works and i stay home. It's tertible cooking food i can't eat. It's terrible smelling the popcorn he's eating. His mom and grandma make such wonderful food, too, and now i can't eat 99% of it. They haven't been around me long enough after the IBS diet thing or even before that started, to really know or understand. It's hard not drinking caffeine (i love pop) or juices, or alcohol. I struggle every day. Okay, now i'm just complaining. Sorry.

Glad you made it Kerrie! Lucky you going to bali, never been there myself.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review