All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
The consequences of our actions...
      #4212 - 03/27/03 03:54 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

As most of y'all know - when I was diagnosed in 1999 - my doctor didn't provide any advice at all about what to do. Since I live in Japan - I can't seek counselling or get medical advice. So that's why I ask the weirdest questions!!

Here's another one for you:

Aside from the obvious (painful "D" & "C", bloating, discomfort, cramping, urgency, unreliability, acid reflux, sore bottoms etc...) what damage can a person with IBS do to themselves by simply "living with it"?? Let's say a person finds them in a "lose-lose" situation. They're frustrated because nothing seems to be working and they're fighting their body every day. So they give up and eat what they want etc... What are the potential side effects of such a lifestyle??

As some know, my husband has ulcerative colitis and if he doesn't take his meds and watch what he eats - he could cause irrepairable damage, end up on a 'bowel bag' and possibly die.

Now, I personally am not a quitter - so I most certainly haven't given up this fight - but - I've noticed some members of this board who either are or have been just eating what they wanted and been living with the consequences. So for people like them - and - for people who can't handle it anymore and say "what the hell" . . .what damage are they doing? What are the potential consequences of our actions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The consequences of our actions... new
      #4222 - 03/27/03 07:58 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Kim: Personally, my bad days are nothing like they were before Heather's diet. You may forget how bad they can be when you're still having some problems, but my bet is that they were WAY worse before. As for having damage, yes I feel I did damage myself by ignoring the problem. I was having digestive issues, ignoring them, when a major incident happened that forced me to take a look at what I was eating. I never in a million years want that to happen again, I am willing to eat bread and water for the rest of my life to keep that from happening again. So my vote is YES it can get much worse, and the "worse" can cause you some real grief and embarassment. Don't give up, it's also a healthier way to eat in the long run of life.

#4230 - 03/27/03 08:36 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi - Here is a previous post from Heather that helped me with a similar question. Note the third paragraph. web page

Hope this helps!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4232 - 03/27/03 09:21 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kim - you seem like such a smart person to be asking a silly question like that!! Don't mean to be so crass, but first of all, I haven't noticed any posters on the boards who are just eating whatever they want. If you want to do that, you're the only one who's going to suffer. And, like you said, you're not a quitter, so DON'T GIVE UP!

Surely you've noticed a difference between before you started the IBS "diet" and the way you were after following it. You REALLY DON'T SEE A DIFFERENCE? As you know, some docs don't know the first thing about how to quiet down IBS. As long as you've had all the diagnostic tests to rule out the other causes of your GI distress, Heather is one of the foremost knowledgeable people about IBS. Listen to what she says and just keep doing what she says to do. You know that with some people, it takes a while before things start to work right. Everyone's body is different. Yours seems like one of the stubbornest (if that's a word).

And, I haven't forgotten about your recipe requests. I've been trying to post recipes that only require common ingredients so keep reading and trying them. If you have any specific requests, don't hesitate to post them. Right now I have a pile of recipe books on the floor that are reaching about 14" in height. Don't know why I just don't bring in the whole cookbook bookcase into the office!

Kimbo, please don't give up. I realize it's hard to be in a foreign land where "things" are scarce (foods, docs, etc). But, if you remember the little ditty I posted a few weeks ago: FAILURE IS NEVER FATAL--IT'S COURAGE THAT COUNTS! We all need courage to face what has been doled our way and to combat and control it--especially for our own sake and for the sakes of everyone we love and who loves us. It's hard to be strong, and easy to be weak; and you don't seem like a weak person.

Mother Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4356 - 03/28/03 01:51 AM
Kimbo

Hmmm...from the responses so far - it seems that a few have not truly understood what it was I was asking or saying.

In no way am I giving up - in fact I stated that. Thanks for the 'pep' talk but it wasn't necessary.

Let me phrase this another way:
--My husband has a potential fatal disease that affects his intestines, colon and anything else in the 'out' system. He is to avoid, insoluable foods, spices, alcohol - you name it. If he doesn't he will die.

We know this!

What we don't know - because my doctors in Canada never told me - is what the possible consequences of repeated IBS attacks can do to the system. That's what I would like to know.

In response to Sharon's 'question' - yep - I read in at least one message that, that person until the day she got the books - was ignoring her problem for something like ten years. That is what I was referring to.

I don't have Heather's books - because right now I can't afford to get them. I'm not on her official diet but I am following the guidelines everyone has helped me with so far. I'm not taking soluable fiber treatments right now because right now I can't afford to have them shipped to me.

Simply put - I'm doing what I can for the time being!!!! It's all I can do!

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful to those who have posted motivational thoughts - because those are great and others who are about to give up - will read them and feel that they can fight this fight. Because it is worth fighting. But...

I simply want to know the long term effects of ignored IBS? How does it compare to ulcerative colitis or crohns disease?

To Sharon and the others who saw my message as a cry for help - thank you anyways! Trust me - if I was desperate - my message wouldn't be subtle or cryptic! What you wrote will help others and was wonderful.

#4434 - 03/28/03 03:40 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sorry, Kim, but I guess I was just in my "mother" mode yesterday. Although it did sound like you wanted to give up. I guess you can't be cryptic with your questions and just have to come right out and ask!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

No problem new
      #4440 - 03/28/03 05:31 PM
Kimbo

Mother mode is good!

I never know when I'm being cryptic anymore!! It drives me crazy when I can't get people to understand me! Before I came to Japan and started teaching English - I was a great communicator. Now I've got so much Japanese running through my head and also always trying to make my English overly simplified that it comes out the wrong way and everything. It's enough to make you mute!

Anybody??? new
      #4557 - 03/30/03 04:59 PM
Kimbo

Can anybody offer any answers??

"Let me phrase this another way:
--My husband has a potential fatal disease that affects his intestines, colon and anything else in the 'out' system. He is to avoid, insoluable foods, spices, alcohol - you name it. If he doesn't he will die.

We know this!

What we don't know - because my doctors in Canada never told me - is what the possible consequences of repeated IBS attacks can do to the system. That's what I would like to know. I simply want to know the long term effects of ignored IBS? How does it compare to ulcerative colitis or crohns disease?"

Re: Anybody??? new
      #4572 - 03/30/03 07:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Repeated IBS attacks over the long run (we're talking years), especially if coupled with a low fiber diet, can lead to diverticulosis. This is where the colon walls "pouch out" between the colon muscles. Basically, the spasms of severe IBS attacks can sort of force these little pouches to form. If those pouches then become inflamed, you'll have diverticulitis.

Other than that, because IBS is a condition and not actually a disease, it is not progressive. It in no way compares to inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, where there is actual physical damage taking place to the gut as a result of the disease. The symptoms of IBS are transient - the muscle spasms come and go. The underlying pathology of the disorder (a dysfunction of the gut's nervous system and that system's interaction with the brain) is always there, but it's not causing any damage on its own. This is why if you can keep the attacks from happening, or at least keep them under control so they're less frequent and less severe, you're really not risking a greater likelihood of diverticulosis (or anything else). You're certainly not risking intestinal inflammation and scarring, bowel resection surgery, or colon cancer, as you would be with inflammatory bowel diseases. You'll also not be faced with the serious steroids and other drugs IBD folks have to resort to in order to control their flares.

The side benefit of the high soluble fiber diet that will help prevent IBS attacks is that it will also help prevent diverticulosis - a disease basically unheard of outside of Western countries with low fiber diets.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

:) new
      #4695 - 03/31/03 06:33 PM
Kimbo

Heather,

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review