All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
essential fatty acids - linseed or evening primrose?
      #4208 - 03/27/03 02:55 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,
I think I can very cautiously say that my IBS is presently on the retreat but my hormones are still causing me trouble. Might be coincidence, but I realise that I'm hardly getting any essential fatty acids from my diet and they seem to be important for the hormonal balance.

I've read somewhere that LINSEED are particularly rich in these fatty acids. I used to take them regularly in better IBS days but they were too heavy on my system during attacks and I replaced them with psyllium seeds. On the package it says that they are very rich in soluble fibre,too (60% versus 40% insoluble fibre).

What is your opinion about linseed? I wouldn't need to soak them and take them on an empty stomach like I used to, but I could also sprinkle them on my rice at every meal.

Another advise I got is to take EVENING PRIMROSE OIL, but that's pure fat taken in a capsule. What's your views on this?

Thanks
Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: essential fatty acids - linseed or evening primrose? new
      #4274 - 03/27/03 12:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm not sure about linseed, but flax seed and evening primrose and fish oils are all great sources of omega fatty acids. You can get all of these in capsule form, or grind the flax seed or drizzle flax oil on soluble fiber (like rice or pasta). Don't take the capsules on an empty stomach - they are fat -but taken with a meal they should be fine.

You can also eat fatty fish like salmon or tuna. Lots of recipes in Eating for IBS.

Psyllium is soluble fiber, with insoluble in there too. Psyllium tends to be more likely to cause gas and bloating than other supplements. I'd try Citrucel, Benefiber, Equalactin, or Fibercon instead. There's no essential fatty acids in the supplements (or in psyllium), but they are crucial for stabilizing the GI tract. Ignore the fact that they're marketed as laxatives - they're not.

I'll try to find out about linseed...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks and Happy Birthday!!! new
      #4288 - 03/27/03 01:02 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

linseed - might be helpful new
      #4352 - 03/27/03 11:02 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

hi there. i add a mix of soy, linseed and almond meal onto my oatbran every morning - recommended by my naturopath. seems to help a lot, gives me some protein as well as some extra fibre (and it's yummy...). i haven't had any probs with it.

#5051 - 04/03/03 06:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Are fatty acids something that help IBS? I read somewhere that they're good for digestion? I only eat fish once or twice a week--should I be concerned and should I get a primrose supplement? Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5054 - 04/03/03 06:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Essential fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties, so they're really helpful for inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. I haven't seen any studies that show they help IBS, but they are really good for your overall health. Just be careful that you eat these foods (salmon, flax oil) or take the supplements (evening primrose oil, fish oil caps) with soluble fiber foods, and not by themselves on an empty stomach. They are fats, and fats are GI stimulants so they can trigger attacks. But you can definitely eat them, and for your overall health you should.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather: THANKS!!!! new
      #5057 - 04/03/03 06:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Thanks SO MUCH for answering my questions (and all our questions) so quickly and so sincerely! You deserve a medal! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1419

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review