All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Potatoes and IBS
      #4087 - 03/25/03 06:01 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I ate potaotes tonight for the first time in a couple of months. My husband grilled a Turkey Breast and I stemed veggies and we had a really good family night.
However, the potaotes are not agreeing with me!! I keep burping them up and full of gas (otherwards I am in a lot of pain right now). I only buy red and yellow potaotes. Do potaotes have soulable fiber? I know potaotes are starchy and can too much starch affect IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoes and IBS new
      #4088 - 03/25/03 06:05 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Are you sure it was the potatoes and not the veggies? Some vegetables can be hard to digest because of the insoluble fiber. They can cause a lot of gas!

#4092 - 03/25/03 06:41 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I was on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for a while trying to test out the different diets recommended for IBS (didn't work for me), and when I brought back the carbs (especially potatoes) after not eating them for a few months, it was not good. Lots of gas and stomach pains. I still try to keep down the carbs as I feel better when I don't eat a lot of them. It's hard to juggle the different foods you feel work for you personally, finding the right balance for each person is so different.

#4093 - 03/25/03 06:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Potatoes are very high in soluble fiber and, if you peel them, very low in insoluble fiber. They tend to be very well-tolerated for IBS and a good staple. It's usually what people put on potatoes (butter, sour cream) that causes problem.

I would guess that the other veggies are a more likely culprit.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4110 - 03/26/03 02:21 AM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

i think some people do have problems with starches, but not me I eat a baked potatoe every night for dinner, so my stomachs not empty when i eat the turkey breast, sandwhichm fish, or whatever.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4151 - 03/26/03 09:58 AM
BarbaraS

Loc: Wisconsin

Maybe it was the veggies. I peeled my potaotes before cooking them. I stemmed my veggies, so it was well cooked. I did stemm cauliflower, but I've been fine in the past as long as I cook cauliflower. I have PMS right now, so maybe my stomach is just more sensitive.

#4157 - 03/26/03 11:43 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I FIND I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF COMBINATIONS OF FOOD. For instance, chicken or fish foir supper and eggs for breaky don't work too well for me.

#4350 - 03/27/03 10:33 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

are you usually okay with everything else on the menu? i peronally seem to be sensitive to turkey. if you haven't had some of those other things in a while, it could have been something other than potatoes. or maybe taters are just a "thing" for you, something to avoid. everyone's got their own little tummy quirks...

beth

Re: Skins? new
      #4378 - 03/28/03 07:07 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Are potato skins something to be avoided at all costs, or can we treat them like other vegetables - cook well and eat with plenty of soluable fiber?

I don't usually eat the skins, but I like them in mashed potatos. The skins are well boiled, mashed and whipped with my mixer, so the ratio is lots of potato to small bits of skin.

I tried it last night (using a small amount of soy margarine and about a cup of rice milk and spices) and it gave me d - but that could have been from cramps instead of the potatos...

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#4379 - 03/28/03 07:09 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather - I used to eat potato skins too but now I avoid like the plague. It probably was the potato skins. Just one more thing you have to give up, honey!

Sharon
(don't you just hate it when people call you honey?)

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4382 - 03/28/03 07:18 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I'll take Honey over other things I've been called any day!

I hate that I've had to give so much up, but I am sticking with it because I certainly like the way I feel now! I still have attacks and my bowels are nowhere near normal, but I just feel overall more healthy. Of course, I used to spend entire days just eating chips, microwaved bean burritos and diet coke...

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: Skins? new
      #4411 - 03/28/03 12:55 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

i beleive skins are pure insolable fiber and should be avoided at all costs

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4423 - 03/28/03 02:59 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

H2 - Yeh, I hate giving up things too. Today at lunch, Dan and I split another combination fajita at Applebys (and we had a $5.00 off coupon to boot). I didn't even touch the sour cream or cheddar cheese. I told him he could have it all. I knew if I ate either of them, I'd be farting all the way home. LOL! I can't smell (the ol' smeller went south about 28 years ago), so he's the only one who suffers when we're together and I have to let it go!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1710

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review