Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cold and flu medication
      #40645 - 01/25/04 11:55 AM
Chantale

Reged: 01/18/04
Loc: Québec, Canada

Hello!

I have a sore throat since thursday and it probably will turn into a common cold. I was wondering if cough drops were usually safe. What about syrop and pills like sudafed, tylenol cold and flu or dixoral?

--------------------

Chantale

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cold and flu medication new
      #40648 - 01/25/04 11:57 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I've never had a problem in small amounts. I like grape Sucrets for a sore throat!

How about the rest of the group? Any problems with this stuff?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#40663 - 01/25/04 12:24 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Back in the beginning of December, I had goteen a sore throat (luckily didn't turn into a full-blown cold). I tried Ricola Honey-Herb. They worked great & didn't upset my tummy.

Here's the ingredients: Active Ingredient: menthol 1.9 mg. Also contains: extract of Ricola's herb mixture (angelica root, elder, horehound, hyssop, lemon balm, linden flowers, peppermint, sage, thyme, wild thyme), honey, natural flavoring, starch syrup, sugar.

Usually, anything with menthol (like Halls) burns my stomach, but I was fine with these. They are very mild. I even let a coworker try one, because she has the same problem with the stong ones bothering her, and she loved these too. I liked the fact they had peppermint too!

As for cold medicine, I haven't had one since last March, and I can't remember what I took for it. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

Hope you feel better soon!

#40680 - 01/25/04 01:41 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Sudafed works great for a head cold. I bought the generic brand and it was 1/2 the price. Just don't take it at night or it might keep you up. But it really helped me all day at work. I can handle cough drops pretty well including the very powerful halls!

#40683 - 01/25/04 01:51 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I'm just getting over tonsilitis right now and so i've been on antibiotics for about a week, can't wait to finish them cause i don't think my stomach is liking them very much Anyways i did have a cold at the beginning of december but was mostly coughing all the time...not too much of a sore throat. Ended up having to go get cough medicine with codein because i had barely slept and thought i was going to go crazy, that stuff also wasn't to fond of my tummy! My suggestion is to try to stay away from all this rough stuff if you can and hopefully you can find something that works and is still fine for the tummy. I just take HALLS if my throat is hurting but only if i need one.

#40685 - 01/25/04 01:56 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

In december myself and my whole family had the cold virus, while everyone on was on over the counter meds. I opt to do ricola drops and garggle with salt water for the sore throat ate plenty of yogurt with vitamin C, drank chamomile tea, like always and I kicked in 6 days while my family took over 10 days. Oh ya lots of chicken soup homemade with onions. Hope you all feel better those who are still sick.

#40693 - 01/25/04 02:35 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I personally cannot use cough drops. At all. The whole postnasal drip thing makes me extremely sick to my stomach, and when I throw a cough drop in there, it's over.

For this reason I use the strongest stuff I can find to dry out my head and then just stick to peppermint candies. Not altoids or anything, just the Brach's kind.

But I have GERD too... so it's probably different with people just dealing with IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 742 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review