All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Celiac Testing
      #38582 - 01/18/04 12:34 PM
Dolphin

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: NY, USA

I was just wondering if a skin testing at the allergist can determine if your a celiac? I have had skin testing and there was no wheat allergy present.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Celiac Testing new
      #38587 - 01/18/04 12:58 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I cant' remember the name, but there is a form of celiac that shows up on the skin. Check out this website for celiac sprue. www.celiacsprue.com.

#38589 - 01/18/04 01:10 PM
Chantale

Reged: 01/18/04
Loc: Québec, Canada

My gastroenterologist had me take blood tests to see if I was gluten intolerant.I think Celiac and gluten intolerance are the same, am I right?

--------------------

Chantale

#38591 - 01/18/04 01:15 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Celiac Sprue is wheat and gluten intolerance. I was tested internally for it and said I was clear, but since I watch the wheat and gluten in products that I eat, I feel better.

#38597 - 01/18/04 01:34 PM
Dolphin

I was originally tested with the endoscopy because I was having reflux problems. With this, would you think that I was clear of Celiac Disease? I had the biopsy too. Sherr, I tried your link, but it was an error page. So I did some research typing in Celiac and it appeared to me that the endoscopy would rule it out. Although, I'm not certain, because I don't know if the doctor looked for everything or just a select few things.

#38618 - 01/18/04 02:50 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Gina-since IBS is usually the diagnosis when they can't find anything wrong, then your endoscopy would have been VERY thorough! They look for practically everything under the sun. They didn't find anything wrong with me either, and Celiac was one of the first things on my mind when I went to see the doctor about my results. He said that it's one of the things they check for, so I guess that means you and I are both good But if it still concerns you, my advice would be to ask your doc at your next appointment. Maybe our hospitals are different and don't do the same tests? Anyways, hope this helps!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#38620 - 01/18/04 02:52 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I'd contact the doctor/hospital who conducted the endoscope, just to check. I'm not sure if the endoscope itself necessarily shows evidence of celiac, but the small biopsy they take during the endoscope procedure. Anyway, I'm sure they would be able to tell you whether celiac was checked for at that time.

Also, you must have been eating gluten/wheat at the time of the test for it to give reliable results.

#38644 - 01/18/04 03:43 PM
Dolphin

Jessica-It is reassuring to me that celiac is one of the things that the doctors check for. I will probably check with the doctor just to be certain. I'm due for my Nexium prescription so I think I might make an appointment this time around. It amazes me that doctors don't have more information on what causes IBS. I can understand stress and anxiety causing problems, but for certain foods to trigger it really baffles me. I always was able to eat meat and dairy, then boom, just like that no more. I don't get it and I'm determined to figure this out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 820

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review