All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What will happen if I don't drink enough water while taking Acacia powder?
      #370086 - 08/29/13 11:30 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello,

This is only my second day on the Acacia powder. But I have a long-standing habit of not drinking enough water or fluids and sometimes I feel like there is something "sitting" at the top of my stomach.

Also I felt that the peppermint tea was giving me a bit of heartburn.

Is this feeling due to not drinking enough fluids?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What will happen if I don't drink enough water while taking Acacia powder? new
      #370088 - 08/29/13 12:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you have acid reflux then you will likely have problems with peppermint. Read Heather's sticky notice here

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=342667&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

You need to drink lots of water with a soluble fiber supplement since it absorbs water.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: What will happen if I don't drink enough water while taking Acacia powder? new
      #370090 - 08/29/13 12:12 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Try camomile or fennel tea instead off the pepermint tea.

Soluble fiber needs water in your gut to work properly new
      #370091 - 08/29/13 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

In fact, your gut needs water in it just to function normally in general. This is especially critical for constipation.

You don't have to have a big glass of liquid right with the Tummy Fiber, as there is no choking risk. But you do have to have enough liquids throughout the day.

Anything that's non caffeine, non alcohol will count, it doesn't have to be plain water.

Try the peppermint tea on an empty stomach, and then a full stomach - that can make a big difference for people prone to heartburn, and oddly the preferences seem to go about 50/50 either way.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#370093 - 08/29/13 01:29 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Thanks everybody for your helpful info and advice as always!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6020 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2446

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review