All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mega Protein Needed for Muscle Growth.
      #369794 - 07/15/13 05:23 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

My trainer said in an idea world I'd be eating massive steaks as my muscles are so weak. I have had CFS and IBS and Fibroyalgia for 2 decades.

I do not put muscle on very well at all and my gut is so sensitive that exercise often triggers it-even mild walking. I have had food sensitives since I was a kid. ALways reacted to red meat, dairy etc but I always ate them and did not think much about it.
Now I can barely leave the house if I have accidentally consumed any. It is so hard...

I need to put on muscle. I cannot have dairy and I am sensitive to gluten but not coeliac(I had the tests).

Please tell me there is some kinda protein powder that IBS-D people can have? I don't tolerate Soy very well and I heard there are rice protein ones like these ones but are they ok?

http://www.sunwarrior.com.au/product-info/classic-protein/

http://www.sunwarrior.com.au/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mega Protein Needed for Muscle Growth. new
      #369795 - 07/15/13 07:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While the product you directed us to indicates it has no fiber that is likely because they are only talking about a 21 gram serving. In North America if the total fiber is less than 0.5 grams per serving then the amount of fiber can be stated as zero. It might be the same in Australia. So be careful if you try it as it might contains some insoluble fiber.

A better option is to simply increase the amount of chicken, fish or seafood that you eat. These are high protein foods.

BTW - just increasing protein consumption will not increase muscle mass. You need to do rigour exercise in order to gain an increase in muscle mass. Generally speaking you only need 45-55 grams of protein a day so if you increased it to 60-70 grams a day that should be plenty. Endurance and strength-trained athletes need between 1.2 and 1.7 g/kg per day (0.5 - 0.8 grams per pound) of protein for the best performance and health.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369799 - 07/15/13 10:22 AM
Roxstar

I do strength and weight training at intervals and to gain muscle you need to get protein into you within 30 minutes of your workout so to be able to quickly have a protein shake would be awesome. I might give it a try and have it along with eating a banana. See how I go...

#369800 - 07/15/13 10:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find this article for University California Los Angeles of interest

Do I need extra protein to gain muscle mass, strength, and power?. There is plenty of misinformation on this topic even from trainers. You really don't need to eat protein within 30 mins of training.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369802 - 07/15/13 10:37 AM
Roxstar

Thanks for that! Will definitely read.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review