All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SIBO and Tummy Fiber etc
      #368964 - 01/06/13 06:20 PM
Burkmere

Reged: 01/06/13

I have bloating (within past three months) and have had IBS type symptoms for many years but mostly gas ...only once every three or four months do I have cramps etc.

Anyway...I do have an appt with a GI Dr. jan 23 but in the meantime am taking tummy fiber and have works up to 3tbsp a day.

1. I've been reading where some SIBO docs are saying pre-biotics are bad for SIBO. So is it bad for me to continue to take Tummy Fiber?

2. I'm also on the IBS diet and decided to also go gluten free (as much as possible ). Is it consistent with a SIBO diet??

Any info is appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SIBO and Tummy Fiber etc new
      #368965 - 01/07/13 04:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

SIBO has not been confirmed to be a cause of IBS. In fact it has only been confirmed to occur in about 4% of IBS individuals. Read this post for more information. And a number of articles have been published seriously questioning the relationship between SIBO and IBS. Here is the abstract of the more recent ones Questioning the Bacterial Overgrowth Hypothesis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: An Epidemiologic and Evolutionary Perspective

A prebiotic is any non-digestible food that promotes the growth of good colonic bacteria. Many of the foods you eat such as rice, potatoes, oatmeal and many veggies and fruits contain prebiotics. This clinical research article Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth: Roles of Antibiotics, Prebiotics, and Probiotics by reputable GI doctors suggest prebiotics are beneficial for SIBO.

A clinically tested SIBO diet has yet to established. Gluten free is definitely compatible with Heather's Eating for IBS diet.

A clinically tested diet for functional bowel disorders such as IBS that reduces bloating, gas, etc by restricting consumption of rapidly fermenting carbohydrates is described in the first three links in my signature. It is also compatible with a gluten free diet but not as a result of gluten problem but because wheat and rye contain rapidly fermenting carbohydrates.

Heather's tummy fiber is prebiotic that does not rapidly ferment

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368972 - 01/07/13 11:44 PM
Burkmere

confused about white bread. Heather seems to say ok, but Foodmaps says no...same w white flour ....which is it? ,;). Thanks.

#368973 - 01/08/13 03:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes the FODMAP diet has different restriction that Heather's diet. For example, Heather's diet says if you are going to eat bread eat white bread. The FODMAP diet says remove all wheat & rye products for 2-3 weeks along with the other FODMAPs and then re-introduce them one at a time to figure out which ones are problematic for you. Using this approach you have to integrate the two diets. It takes time,there are differences but it works well.

However, if you are eating gluten free then it doesn't matter because you won't be eating wheat/rye breads or other products containing them

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368974 - 01/08/13 07:03 AM
Burkmere

Thanks for your reply! I have an appt w GI dr. In two weeks but will try and stick gluten free and w Heather's suggestions in the meantime...! I've also haf CFC for many years which plays into this...

#368979 - 01/08/13 01:50 PM
Burkmere

Do you think it matters if one has smaller, shorter meals? And what about tea in between (non caff, peppermint or fennel) or just water??. Pimental thinks one should rest and give the "wave action" a chance to clean out small intestines. anything to that in your opinion? Thanks!!

For IBS in general smaller, frequent meals are better new
      #368980 - 01/08/13 02:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

because the gastrocolic reflex of your gut responds proportionally to how much volume and how many calories you're consuming.

Since your goal is to keep that reflex stable, and try to prevent it from overreacting, large meals aren't a good idea.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3169

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review