All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please offer some evidence to de brainwash me on the Paleo diet
      #368832 - 12/26/12 03:42 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I have been trying to find relief for my instense gi pain for a while. I have found article after article about how the Paleo diet has helped countless number of IBS sufferers find relief from their pains and symptoms. I have become convinced that this is the solution. Unfortunately, I am havnig a hard time giving up my gluten free granola bars, and gf grains...and then I get upset with myself for not being able to follow the Paleo diet. For people with digestive disorders, it recommends only lean meats, veggies, and fats (olive and coconut oils) or olives. That's it. Can someone show me some evidence or proof that this is not the answer to my gi distress, which grows daily? I'm desperate for relief. Is Paleo my answer, as it seems to have been for so many others? Please help me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please offer some evidence to de brainwash me on the Paleo diet new
      #368835 - 12/26/12 03:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you search the postings on the board using the 'Search' function above you will find many posting about the Paleo diet and why it is not a particularly IBS friendly diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368836 - 12/26/12 03:51 PM
Cyndy

I have searched for Paleo...and didn't find much. Not anything that refutes it. Can you help me, syl. Please. Do you know of any medical evidence? Or anything?

#368837 - 12/26/12 03:54 PM
Cyndy

web page this one says it helps?

#368839 - 12/26/12 04:13 PM
Syl

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=367934&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368840 - 12/26/12 04:54 PM
Cyndy

this study looked at it's effects on heart health. What about studies on ibs help?

#368841 - 12/27/12 01:18 PM
Syl

The article on the UK National Health Services web site says in the first paragraph that newspapers reported that the caveman diet might reduce heart disease.

The rest of the article discusses the problems with the diet and how the results have been misinterpreted over the years by the popular press and others.

It concludes that the diet is a fad diet with little or no advantage over well-known healthy diets like those outlined in the USDA guidelines. In fact it has dietary deficiencies such as not meeting the daily calcium requirements particularly for women.

It is unlikely that the Paleo diet will be clinically tested on IBS suffers. It is a diet that advocates eating foods that are known to be problematic. For example, many of the fruits and veggies recommended on the Paleo diet are known from breath tests and other clinically findings like those in the FODMAP trials to aggravate IBS symptoms.

The Paleo diet might be helpful for healthy individuals but generally speaking it is not an IBS friendly diet.

--------------------

Here is a registered dietitian that has combined ...... new
      #368844 - 12/28/12 12:54 PM
Syl

Fructose malabsorption, FODMAPs and the Paleo diet into one diet. You may find it useful.

--------------------

Re: Here is a registered dietitian that has combined ...... new
      #368846 - 12/28/12 05:25 PM
Cyndy

wow, so helpful! Thank you. I'm surprised white rice is on there as safe as grains are not paleo. And I was told that white potato are out and sweet potatoes are much better. I'm confused as to why some of the veggies...whether they are okay or not. I thought avocados where off limits for low fodmap and that pumpkin, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes were best choices...not "cautious" foods. And on this list, turnips are okay, but in another post, turnips were mentioned as not okay?

And it says "caution" for nuts, but then almonds are listed as "avoid totally".

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review