All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Coffee in the AM, D in the Evening?
      #368754 - 12/07/12 02:55 AM
Cristobo

Reged: 12/07/12

Hey all, new here!

I have one big question. I've had ibs for 12+ years. Typically, I'll have an 'emptying' episode a couple hours after a heavy meal once or twice a week. This meal may be something like pizza that I usually have too much of.
Of course I know pizza is a killer and I've since given it up.

Question: will a cup of coffee at 7 in the AM have anything to do with this attack at 9 at night?

(Coffee is very important to me and it has never bothered me even hours later)

Edited by Cristobo (12/07/12 05:34 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Coffee in the AM, D in the Evening? new
      #368755 - 12/07/12 06:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Coffee as you know contains a strong GI stimulant - caffeine - which could have delayed effects. It is best to remove all caffeine containing products from your diet.

It would be useful if you listed the meals and snack you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues for advice

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368758 - 12/07/12 09:20 AM
Cristobo

Reged: 12/07/12

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah, I think I tend to create the perfect storm with my diet sometimes!

I tend to eat very lite all day and then jump into a big meal in the evenings. I'm sure this is most of my trouble. Hard, though, when I'm also trying to drop a few pounds.

At 56 I'm still struggling with not being able to eat most of the things I've been eating all my life. Simple things like coffee in the AM and a pop with dinner have become no-nos. not to mention most of my meals

For now I'm focusing on giving up the heavy meals in the PM and also convincing my wife that its ok when I have a bowl of raisin bran while she has something heavier. Don't want my troubles affecting what she would like to eat.

#368760 - 12/07/12 11:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is well known that foods that are high in insoluble fiber such as raisin bran can make IBS problems worse. Raisin bran would give me D and severe cramps within a short time of eating it.

You might enjoy reading the editorial in a recent edition of a well-known GI research journal title Fiber, FODMAPs, flora, flatulence, and the functional bowel disorders [such as IBS]. Among other interesting things the author says "In fact, a number of contrarian studies, which had been largely ignored, had suggested that favorite sources of dietary fiber such as bran and other cereals, and vegetables and fruits, might actually aggravate symptoms in IBS. The symptoms that appeared to be aggravated were flatulence, bloating and abdominal pain."

You might find it worth while reading about Heather's Eating For IBS diet starting here paying particular attention to difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. You may find that if you reduce consumption of high insoluble fiber foods that the D and discomfort might significantly decrease.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 699 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1439

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review