All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Triggers?
      #367705 - 06/28/12 01:46 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I seem to have a routine going for myself, which basically is I have 2-3 good days, then at least one or two (or more) bad days. I have been trying to figure out what the triggers are that cause the bad days but have some questions.

Basically my routine is I develop aches/pains in different areas of my digestive tract (can be side, back, etc) after a bm. This soreness/ache will stay with me for at least a day usually more and can be accompanied by nausea. During this time I usually lay low, and pretty much eat carbs, bread, potatoes, etc..with a little chicken or turkey and maybe some cooked carrots. This I will do until things seem ok and then I will start to add some other veggies and fruit to my diet. This will be ok for a couple days and then I am back to the pains, etc...

So up until this time I always thought the veggies and fruit were my triggers, but, am now wondering if in fact the carbs could be the problem. During the carb days I feel great but rarely have a bm, once I add the fruit and veggies and have a bm, then the problems start so could the problems arise from the days of not going??? It doesn't seem to matter what the fruit or veggies are that I add and I always pick "safe" food and cook very well.

It all gets so confusing as I know what I eat might not affect me for a day or more.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triggers? new
      #367706 - 06/28/12 02:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What fruits and veggies are you adding back and how are you preparing them?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367707 - 06/28/12 03:15 PM
shelgirl

Had some frozen squash, cooked up really good...also some blueberries that I put in my hot rice cereal that cooks up in the crock pot overnight, so they were really well cooked as well. Also had some french style green beans (so none of the seeds) and again really cooked them till mushy. I also will eat ripe banana sometimes.

--------------------

#367709 - 06/28/12 04:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The carbs you are eating are easily digested and contain relatively little insoluble fiber hence fewer and smaller stools. Veggies and fruit contain a more insoluble fiber hence more and large stools.

You might start slower using veggies and fruit that are a bit lower in insoluble fiber. While mushiness helps it doesn't change insoluble fiber to something else.

The squash and banana sound fine. You might choose bananas that are not so ripe i.e. yellow with a bit of green and absolutely no brown. Berries can be high in insoluble fiber so you might wait a while before introducing them. Perhaps it might be worth while trying some boil peel carrots and leave the beans until later. The outer skin of a green bean is high in insoluble fiber. It is best to start with veggies and fruit that can be peeled as the skin is always high in insoluble fiber.

It isn't unusual to introduce a food and not experience symptoms for 2 or more days especially after that food has been eliminate for a few days.

Something else you might try is introducing one new food every two days instead of introducing 3 or 4 new foods at once. It helps you keep track of things.

If you experience something unpleasant then drop back to your base diet and start again.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367710 - 06/28/12 04:52 PM
shelgirl

Thanks for the great ideas, Syl. I will definitely limit adding new things to the diet...sometimes when I feel good, I get carried away:) Also good info about the bananas...I always thought it was better to eat them when they were very ripe. I actually like them better when a little green/yellow. I always do peel the carrots, but I certainly get your point about other veggies and fruits that can be peeled. Thanks, again!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2542

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review