All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much soluble/insoluble fiber?
      #367672 - 06/24/12 07:35 AM
sunrise

Reged: 06/17/12

Hello everyone! Would anyone please let me know what "proportions" are recommended in terms of soluble / insoluble fiber?
That is, how much soluble fiber to eat before insoluble or trigger foods?
And then, how much of the insoluble etc foods?

For example:
Do you eat oatmeal first (just a few spoonfuls or entire servings) and then the fruit/almond milk - or all together?

Do you drink dissolved acacia fiber first or eat 1/2 piece of bread, and then eat some fruit - or just the fruit?

And what about a dinner of say rice and chicken, a few spoonfuls of rice to begin with or more???

And then - how much insoluble/other food do you eat, such as chicken, turkey, egg whites, cooked vegetables? Do you eat a "normal" serving or just a few forkfuls?

Thanks a lot!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much soluble/insoluble fiber? new
      #367673 - 06/24/12 07:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I stick with foods that have at least 50% soluble fiber such as oatmeal, banana, etc. I don't eat foods in any order - I eat them all together. Order is not nearly as important as the amount of insoluble fiber in a food.

There isn't any clinical research to support the notion that eating soluble fiber first is more beneficial than eating at any other time during a meal. There is clinical evidence to support the notion that high insoluble fiber foods can exacerbate IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367674 - 06/24/12 08:27 AM
sunrise

Thanks - so does this mean that you avoid chicken, some vegs, etc?

And how do you know the amount of fiber? Is there a table for this?

Thanks!

#367675 - 06/24/12 08:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Oh - I eat chicken and some veggies. Meat doesn't contain fiber of any kind. Soft boiled carrots, peeled lightly fried zucchini until translucent and roasted peeled red peppers are staple veggies for me.

There are tables that give the amount of soluble and insoluble but they don't give the amount of functional fiber which acts like a soluble fiber. You can read more about it in this message.

Generally speaking Heather's list of soluble fiber foods and insoluble fiber foods is a good source of information. Harvard University Food Services has a table that gives the soluble and insoluble fiber content in a variety of foods. It seems fairly reliable but it doesn't give the amount of functional fiber in the foods. For example, it say dry oatmeal has roughly equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber. However, when you cook oatmeal the cooking process produces a resistant starch which is a functional fiber that acts like soluble fiber. So the effective soluble fiber content of cooked oatmeal is considerably higher than insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367676 - 06/24/12 11:25 AM
sunrise

Thanks Syl, very helpful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2174

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review