All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics - good or bad?
      #367644 - 06/20/12 11:56 AM
Aceson

Reged: 05/22/12
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

I have been taking probiotics for about 5 years now - 1 with breakfast, 1 with dinner. I am currently looking into the FODMAP diet and noticed that probiotics shouldn't be taken. I'm just wondering if probiotics should be taken to help with IBS, or do they just exacerbate symptoms? I don't want to stop taking them if they are helping, but if they are causing gas/bloating I want to eliminate them. Any thoughts/comments would be helpful.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics - good or bad? new
      #367645 - 06/20/12 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I don't believe the FODMAP diet prohibits probiotics.

The original research paper by Drs Gibson and Shepherd (second link in my signature) doesn't mention probiotics.

A brief article written by a dietitian (fist link in my signature) says "Added fiber such as inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides; watch items such as probiotic supplements, granola bars, and frozen desserts"

The probiotics are fine but be careful of the additives such as inulin that they put into some brands.

As you likely know very few probiotics have been clinically test for the efficacy in managing IBS symptoms. You might find the following post of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367646 - 06/20/12 01:02 PM
Aceson

I see where I got confused. I mis-read the chart that says avoid probiotics with inulin or FOS, not eliminating probiotics entirely. I am trying to steer clear of the FODMAP 'unfriendlys' to try and eliminate my painful gas and bloating. I eliminated honey 2 weeks ago and have noticed little change. The only thing left for me to try is to go gluten-free. Would you suggest giving this a try? Also, I find that if I have higher amounts of homemade brown sugar (organic sugar with organic molasses)it causes me some discomfort. Has anyone else experienced this?

#367648 - 06/20/12 04:33 PM
Syl

Molasses can have more fructose than glucose. Perhaps one reason you have not noticed the effect of removing honey is because you have not remove molasses and perhaps other foods containing more fructose than glucose.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367650 - 06/21/12 10:59 AM
Aceson

I've never seen molasses listed on the avoid side of any FODMAP Charts, so I didn't realize it could be causing any problems. I don't consume any of the foods listed to avoid on the FODMAP Charts, so I'm not sure where I would be getting more fructose. I guess I'll just keep experimenting. Thanks for the help!

#367656 - 06/21/12 03:36 PM
Syl

Molasses is a tricky product to know what to do about. It depends on how it is produced.

I use the information in the USDA Food database as a guideline. It says there is about 1 gram of excess fructose per 100 grams of molasses. That is a small amount but it depends on how much is used in baking etc.

The guideline give in the original research paper (2nd link in my signature) is "Foods and beverages containing > 0.5 g fructose in excess of glucose per 100 g, > 3 g fructose in an average serving quantity regardless of glucose intake (termed a 'high fructose load'), and > 0.2 g of fructans per serve were considered at-risk of inducing symptoms".

They go on to say "The concept of a 'high fructose load' has not been evaluated in terms of its importance in the success of the diet." So far no clinical test has shown this concept to be true.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review