All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie Diet Question
      #367500 - 05/22/12 10:14 AM
Aceson

Reged: 05/22/12
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hello Everyone! I'm brand new to the community and have a general question. I've only had IBS for the past 12 months, and am still trying to figure out my diet. I have been following Heather's diet cheat sheet to the letter, making 98% of my everyday diet 'safe' foods. This has been working out splendidly for me. But now when I try to re-introduce other foods in conjunction with the 'safe' foods, I find I can't tolerate them and get sick (albeit mildly compared to a year ago). Is this just because I haven't eaten other foods in so long that my body will get sick regardless? Will this eventually pass as I continue to incorporate these foods back in? I find it very hard to try to slowly add foods back in - with me it's not a question of if I'll get sick, it's how bad will I get sick. Thanks for the help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie Diet Question new
      #367501 - 05/22/12 10:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Can you give us examples of the foods you are trying to re-introduce to your diet?

PS - I live in Saskatchewan too

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367502 - 05/22/12 10:26 AM
Aceson

Small world! I've been trying to re-introduce vegetables and fruits, since I only eat bananas, carrots and potatoes now. I have Heather's Eating For IBS book, so I know about seed issues in insoluable fibre. I'm also finding that it isn't just the ingredients in food that bother me - it's the fat content. Anything over 5 grams of fat per serving really bothers me. I don't want to keep cutting out essential food vitamins, but I'd rather cut out foods, than feel sick. I've tried eating lettuce, peeling and de-seeding a tomato slice - everything just seems to bother me.

#367503 - 05/22/12 11:17 AM
Syl

Yes - small world.

You are having the same problem I do. I cannot introduce most fruits and veggies due to the insoluble fiber. I make berry juice from frozen berries to get the vitamins and antioxidants from them. Have you tried juicing any fruits and veggies?

Fat/oils can be a problem. However, 15 grams of fat or 135 kcal a day is quit low and may promote other health issues. Is there anything you can do to increase the fat/oils in your diet?

Are you familiar with the FODMAP dietary approach to managing IBS? It is a clinically tested diet that has shown to give 70-80% improvement in symptoms. There have been successful clinical trials using the approach in Australia and the UK. A large clinical trial is in progress in the the US. You can read more about it in the first two articles linked to in my signature. There are a number of us on the board that use this diet in conjunction with Heather's diet with good results.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367505 - 05/22/12 11:37 AM
Aceson

I haven't tried juicing very much - I've never been much of a fan of juices. But I think I'll have to start for the vitamins and antioxidants.

I also haven't looked into adding healthy fats/oils to my diet. Would a supplement of some kind help me in this area?

I have been researching the FODMAP approach since bloating and gas are 2 of my most prominent symptoms. The only 2 things I find that I do consume on the high FODMAP chart is pasta and I do take a probiotic every morning and evening with food. I do eat Honey Nut Cheerios as well and I'm going to assume that it's probably not good for me FODMAP-wise as well. To cut out the wheat, do I just go gluten free?

I appreciate you helping me out with all these questions... neighbor! Your knowledge is limitless!

#367506 - 05/22/12 12:07 PM
Syl

Unfortunately there aren't any supplements for fat/oil other than fish oils for the omega fatty acids.

Try removing the Honey Nut cheerios first and see if there is an improvement before removing wheat. It could be that the fructose in honey is a problem.

--------------------

#367507 - 05/22/12 12:11 PM
Aceson

Thanks for all the help! I will give it a try.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review