All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How long until symptoms subside?
      #366532 - 12/14/11 04:31 AM
cookingwnothing

Reged: 12/06/11

Hi there,
I've tried many different diets to help cope with IBS and before this one I was on the hypoallergenic diet, which helped stabilize most of my symptoms, except I still had terrible sulphuric gas, no matter what I did. I then tried this diet and the gas seemed to go away in the first week, but is now back just like before. I'm not taking the soluble fibre supplements, just only eating recipes from the book, but I'm not sure if this is normal? Should the diet have stabilized my symptoms by now if it was the right one for me or do I need to try the supplements as well to make sure? After trying FODMAP, gluten-free, dairy-free, hypoallergenic etc. etc. diets, I'm a little unsure as to where to go next!

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long until symptoms subside? new
      #366533 - 12/14/11 05:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could list the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It would give us clues as to how to advise you.

However, it isn't unusual for it to take a few months for things to stabilize once you have established an IBS friendly diet. By stabilize this does not mean all symptoms are gone but rather they are significantly decreased and don't occupy all you waking thoughts.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366534 - 12/14/11 06:40 AM
cookingwnothing

Thanks Syl,
My symptoms (pain, bloating and chronic diarrhea) stabilized a lot once on the hypoallergenic diet but the gas is still, as you say, occupying all my waking thoughts. I have to run to the bathroom constantly throughout the day because of the potency of them (and I work in an open office!).

Over the past 2-3 days I've started the day with oatmeal with applesauce, the IBS-friendly gingerbread for morning tea, a chickpea and rice dish (with curry flavours) from the book for lunch, a banana or mango for afternoon tea, and then something from the book for dinner. Last night it was the tomato, cucumber and bread salad. I also drink fennel and peppermint teas during the day and don't eat things on the 'avoid' list.

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

#366535 - 12/14/11 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps you have too much insoluble fiber from the salads, chickpeas, etc. On the insoluble fiber web page it says "For raw fruit and green salads, eat them at the end of a soluble fiber meal instead of at the beginning. For all insoluble fiber foods, start with small quantities and gradually increase your intake." Some of us cannot eat salads with raw veggies or fruit at any time. It is something you have to experiment with.

If you are following the FODMAP diet as well and you are sensitive to food with excess fructose then the applesauce could be a problem.

The hypoallergenic diet is based on brown rice which is high in insoluble fiber from the rice bran. It could exacerbate your symptoms not improve them.

It might be worth while trying the break the cycle approach for 2-3 days which has no foods with much insoluble fiber. After a few days you can start slowly introducing small amounts of insoluble fiber as suggested by Heather.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366536 - 12/14/11 07:53 AM
cookingwnothing

Thanks Syl.
It's taking me a bit to get my head around as I don't like eating much processed food and had been avoiding too much white bread for that reason. I also read that gluten is hard to digest too. I guess I can try with potatoes and oats and go from there. I've been unable to find a suitable soluble fibre supplement where I live in Europe, so will have to order some online and wait until then!

Thanks again!

--------------------
IBS-D with chronic gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6017 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review