All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Few questions
      #363209 - 01/28/11 02:23 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I've been taking Benefiber for 2 weeks now. I'm now still at 1,5 teaspoon 3 times a day, but my constipation is getting worse. I'm still using stoolsofteners, and I need more of them than usual. My symptoms are pretty good though.
I also started drinking at least 2,5 liter of water/fennel tea the last 5 days. I'm noticing that I'm getting thirstier if I don't drink in time.
But the constipation isn't getting better.. I thought the fiber should start working within 2 weeks?

I'm on the diet for almost 4 weeks.
I've tried a week without wheat, but don't think that really bothers me. I feel better on wheat than on oat I guess. But perhaps I'd try a week on just corn(?)

I've tried (boiled) bell peppers a few times, that seemes to be ok. So I think I can try other IF foods?

Normal sugar (sucrose), I tried yesterday, and it made me nauseous I know it shouldn't be a trigger, but I've been diagnosed with sugar&honey intolerance(?) by an electro-acupuncturist... Never noticed it specifically made me directly nauseous, until now(??) (bummer)
Today I tried maple sirup, that also made me a bit nauseous. Rice sirup is better for me I guess..

I would like to try some fructose, such as boiled apple, to test if this will give me symptoms. I'm not sure if it's too soon? But I guess if I truly have fructose malabsorption I would notice someting if I'd try it now?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Few questions new
      #363211 - 01/28/11 03:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A few things you might try.

You might remove the Benefiber from your diet for a few days and see if you notice a difference. Soluble fiber doesn't work for everyone.

You might switch from Benefiber to Psyllium which is 66% SF and 33% IF.

Try introducing foods with excess fructose while leaving the rest of your diet alone. When they do the fructose malabsorption test they give you 25 grams of pure powdered fructose dissolved in water to drink. So you might try some homemade sweetened applesauce.

Here is the approximate amount of excess fructose in some foods. Remember sugar - white sugar - has no excess fructose and brown sugar may have a small amount of excess fructose from the molasses.

1/2 cup applesauce -- 3.5 gr
1/2 cup watermelon -- 2 gr
small pear -- 5 gr
tablespoon high-fructose corn syrup -- 2.5 gr
tablespoon honey -- 2 gr

Depending on how much you eat you should be able to tell within a difference with a week or so.

Tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363236 - 01/29/11 12:18 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Thanks!

I have some psyllium (metamucil) left, but that also contains sweeteners etc. I've tried it for a few days (1 sachet a day) about 6 months ago, but it worsened my symptoms then (although I do think it worked for the constipation). Maybe I should try building it up more gradually?
After the metamucil-try-out, I received stoolsofteners (macrogol/forlax) from my docter, which work very well for me. But that's not natural stuff and also contain sweeteners. So I would like to switch to something natural w/o additives...

Tonight suddenly the constipation got better(!?) Maybe the extra drinking is starting to work? I'll first try the benefiber for a few more days then..

I understand white sugar does not contain excess fructose, but I don't really think fructose is my problem (since I do not have bloating or excess gas)?
Do you think it's wise to just try the 25gr fructose drink and see if I do get symptoms?? Just to find out if the fructose is really what's bothering me?

I don't really see how white sugar and maple sirup can make me nauseous, but they did, that was really obvious.
Perhaps also because I've been avoiding (excess) sugar for a few months now and my body isn't used to it anymore??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#363237 - 01/29/11 01:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yea - maybe the water and Benefiber are starting to work. Psyllium has shown to help some but I found the insoluble fiber in it to be a problem.

You can buy pure fructose in grocery and health food stores. You could try drinking 25 grams in some water and see what it does. Likely the worse that will happen is you get some cramping. The result won't be conclusive but it sure would be informative.

The maple syrup and white sugar has me bewildered too -- I don't know what it could be other than perhaps a dislike of sweet things.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review