Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Appetite
      #363083 - 01/23/11 05:42 AM
Ericamaryjean

Reged: 01/19/11
Loc: Canada, New Brunswick

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone else is extremly hungery first thing in the morning? Its almost like an urgency to eat. Bananas seem to be the best thing on my stomach in the morning. Is there something I can eat the night before so I can sleep in a little bit? I also cant stand the urgency to eat feeling. Sometimes I feel hungry an hour after ive just had a meal ?

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Appetite new
      #363084 - 01/23/11 06:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could give us the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days, particularly what you eat for supper and evening snacks. It will help us make recommendations.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363085 - 01/23/11 06:25 AM
Ericamaryjean

Ive been sticking to the basics and im afraid to venture to far in fear of an attack so all ive been eating is

Breakfast
Banana
2 Toast with small amount of butter
1 Benefiber to go packet
1 can of ensure plus
multivitamin
Tu zen

Lunch
Chicken or Tuna or Haddock
Basmati rice or potatoes
(somtimes ill have pasta from a can)

snack
handful of pretzels

supper
chicken or tuna or rice
Basmati rice or potatoes

evening snack
ensure plus
1 benefiber to go

I know its not much and I need to start to incorperate more foods but I dont even know where to start. I plan on ordering Heathers eating for ibs

--------------------
IBS-D

#363086 - 01/23/11 06:42 AM
Syl

As you probably know diary is considered a trigger on the IBS diet so things like butter and Ensure which contains diary products are not considered safe. Also, meal replacements in general can be problematic. They are high in fat which is a GI stimulant. You might read Heather article Are Meal Replacement Drinks Safe for IBS?. Eating something with less fat than Ensure and more protein for the evening snack may help with the morning hunger.

You might check the ingredients list for the pretzels and make sure they don't contain high fructose corn syrup. Some brands do.

I see that you don't have any veggies in your diet. You might try peeled and well-cooked carrots and zucchini.

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? It is useful to put this information in you signature.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#363097 - 01/24/11 05:52 AM
Ericamaryjean

I do know that dairy and meal replacements can be a trigger but I seem to be tolerating ensure latly so I thought as long as I can handle it, it would be okay to take them. I do get nauseated from time to time after I have an ensure but it only last about a half hour. Is lactose free milk safe? I have been drinking almond milk also

I changed my diet slightly yesterday adding quinoa and carrots into my lunch and the morning hunger wasnt as severe. Thanks for your help on that. I boiled the carrots twice and mashed them I think that makes a big diffrence.
Do you have any other suggestions for a bedtime snack ?
Do you know of a brand name safe list for foods? I believe my pretzels are okay, under ingredients it does not say fructose corn syrup so they should be okay?

--------------------
IBS-D

#363098 - 01/24/11 06:27 AM
Syl

Sometimes it is difficult to know if you can handle a food because the negative symptoms may not appear until the next day or later. And in other instance the effects of foods can be cummulative. You may not notice the difference until you have removed the food from your diet for 3-4 weeks.

If you known ensure plus gives you problems why do you drink it even if the symptoms seem to be short lived? It contains 11 grams of fat per serving which is quite high.

While some people have difficult with lactose in dairy other have problems with the proteins and fats. You can read more about in the section "Milk and IBS" in the last reference in my signature.

You might try peanut butter and jam on toast or crackers. Peanut butter has lot of protein which should hold you through the night. However, be careful because it also has a considerable amount of fat.

Since you live in Canada like I do the labeling for high fructose corn syrup is "glucose-fructose". If it does have that in the ingredients list is should be okay.

Sorry - I eat very little prepared foods so I don't known many brand name safe foods. I find it much easier and safer to prepare my own foods so I know exactly what they contain.

--------------------

#363100 - 01/24/11 08:21 AM
Ericamaryjean

I didnt know the effect could be cummulative.
I drink the ensure because im trying to gain weight that I lost in december ( I lost almost 20 lbs) Ive been drinking ensure for almost a month now and ive only had one attack that I needed to take an imodium for. The attack was caused from eating balonga the previous evening ( this was before I found this website ) Also the dietition I saw said it was good to be drinking it.
Dont you need to have some fat in our diets to be balanced?
How many days until you can say a new food is safe? For example I tried carrots and quinoa yesterday at lunch, today I have no symptoms so im having it again if tomorrow is okay then these are safe? sorry im having a hard time wording my question.

Peanut butter wont work for me I cant choke down the awful taste. Thank you for the suggestion, If you have any others please let me know im desprate

--------------------
IBS-D

#363101 - 01/24/11 08:48 AM
Syl

Yes - about 20-25% of daily calories should come from fat which is about the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of oil per day or 45 grams of fat per day if you eat 2000 calories a day.

The number of days for determining if a food is safe is a bit difficult to determine. Well cooked and peeled carrots should be fine as it is tolerated by most individuals with IBS.

Protein takes longer to digest that carbs so if you want to keep hunger down eat more protein - fish, chicken, turkey, seafood, etc.

Can you handle regular oatmeal with a banana and some toast for breakfast?

Something you might consider is switching from Benefiber to another soluble fiber supplement. In Canada Benefiber contains inulin which is a rapidly fermenting soluble fiber that is problematic for some people.

Sorry to hear you don't like peanut butter. It is one of my favorite foods. I wish I could eat more of it I will think about more snack choices.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review