All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
sucrose and fructose intolerance
      #362926 - 01/14/11 04:38 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I have found many websites that list sucrose as being unsafe for fructose intolerance. Syl, you always say sucrose is safe dont you?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sucrose and fructose intolerance new
      #362927 - 01/14/11 04:55 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sucrose is unsafe for hereditary fructose intolerance that is a serious genetic disorder which requires the restriction of all source of fructose.

Fructose malabsorption is a different disorder. In this disorder when fructose and glucose occur in precisely equal amounts such as sucrose the body absorbs both sugars with no difficulty. When fructose occurs in excess of glucose the body handles the excess fructose differently and it is usually absorbed in the small intestine. Some people cannot absorb the excess fructose. It is malabsorbed and passes through to the colon where it is rapidly fermented by bacteria producing gas and byproducts. In some people the excess fructose may act as an osmotic laxative producing D.

There is a lot of misinformation about this point on the Web. This point is explained well by the dietitian that wrote the article in the first link in my signature.

If you want a detailed description of the physiological process have a look at Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates. In particular, read the section were it says "Because of this, the fructose released from the hydrolysis [breakdown] of sucrose is generally completely absorbed." In otherwords, in moderation white/brown sugar is not a problem for individuals with fructose malabsorption.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362931 - 01/15/11 07:51 AM
Allisonmary

Thanks for the info I was getting confused, How many grams of added sugar can you handle a day? Are you always born with the fructose intolerance or can you develop that too?
I got very sick the other day, could it be from flavoring my water with cucumbers? I didnt think about it, but I guess you are drinking the fructose right?

#362933 - 01/15/11 08:12 AM
Syl

Hereditary fructose intolerance is a genetic disorder that you inherit. It is usually detected in childhood.

A limit on the number of grams of sucrose that a person with fructose malabsorption has not been determined. In fact it has not been determined if there really is a limit. If there is on it is anticipated to be many tens of grams. If you use sugar in moderation then you are unlikely to have any problems.

Cucumbers don't have excess fructose. Did you make the flavored water yourself?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362940 - 01/16/11 06:25 AM
Allisonmary

Yes I made it, I just put cucumber slices in water. Tastes great, so it should be safe?? That's good news. I guess it was something else that made me sick. May have been the cough medicine i took.

#362941 - 01/16/11 06:35 AM
Syl

Your cucumber drink is definitely safe. Cough medicines can definitely contain things that may effect IBS symptoms. Did you check the non-active ingredients. Some contain high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners.

--------------------

#362958 - 01/16/11 01:01 PM
Allisonmary

Yay, so yea everyone who is looking for a great drink should try cucumber water, its amazing.
Yea the cough medicine was not safe but I had such a little amount I didnt think that was it because I have been extremely sick for the past week. I guess it was that plus other little things I did wrong. I cant believe it caused such a horrible attack tho. I was thinking the cucumber water at first becasue I drank a whole lot of it. Good to know I can keep drinking it, thanks!
I have another question for you, could it be possible for you to have a major reaction to little amount of fructose (which I seem to have), yet have a much greater tolerance for fructans (I still find I can eat a good amount of wheat products- more than two slices of bread anyways. Could it be because I run and my body uses it up?

#362959 - 01/16/11 01:16 PM
Syl

You asked an excellent question.

I cannot tolerate even small amount of excess fructose. On the other hand I can handle a considerable amount of fructans from wheat. However, if I over eat wheat I notice some discomfort the following day.

Some people malabsorb all the FODMAPs while others only have difficult with one or two. Individual physiology and colonic flora composition can be different in this regard producing lots of variations in response to amounts of FODMAPs anyone can handle. Generally speaking overconsumption of any FODMAP by a normal individual is liable to produce GI discomfort too.

--------------------

#362965 - 01/16/11 03:18 PM
Allisonmary

Oh, interesting..that makes sense thanks.
Since this past attack Ive been feeling really weird- tired, weak, short of breath, sore throat that comes and goes, and like I have a pocket of gas stuck below my chest and down my spine. I have a lot of air in my GI system and I believe it is giving me a temporal headache. Have you ever had an attack that led to this?
Also, I bought this probiotic made of cellulose, water, and silica. That should be ok right?

Re: sucrose and fructose intolerance
      #363004 - 01/19/11 07:35 AM
Allisonmary

My blood test results show that I have a moderate milk allergy. Blood tests are accurate right? Should I avoid foods that contain trace dairy or that are made on equipment with dairy? My doctor didn't even know!
Another thing it showed was increased amylase, is it true that fructose malabsorption could cause this?
Thank you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7151

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review