All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ugh, FODMAPs time?
      #362804 - 01/07/11 06:46 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I'm at a loss as to whether I should try the EFI diet or the FODMAPs diet. I used to be gluten-free and dairy-free and my IBS responded really well at the time. Gradually, my symptoms have been more difficult to control. So, I started eating gluten again and now they're worse than ever. At first, eating gluten was fine but now it's just got progressively worse (and I was eating soluble fibre). Do you think maybe the FODMAPs diet would be best to try? I defo have a problem with high-fructose foods anyway.

Thanks for your time.

I'm feeling really rotten- haven't been this constipated in years!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ugh, FODMAPs time? new
      #362806 - 01/07/11 08:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It cannot hurt. It has been clinically tested on a variety of functional GI disorders including IBS with good result. You should be able to tell within a couple of weeks if there is any benefit.

However, stick with the EFI fiber, fat, etc guidelines to keep as much GI stimulants out of your diet. This is not directly included in FODMAP approach. It is left to the attending dietitian or physician to provide additional dietary guidelines about known GI stimulants.

I have been using a combination of the EFI diet and FODMAP approach for some time with good results.

If you try tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Ugh, FODMAPs time? new
      #362816 - 01/08/11 03:10 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Thanks Syl!

I have to say, I'm feeling hopeful about the FODMAPs approach. Most of the foods on the list I've suspected give me problems and now I know why! For example, I wondered why mangoes and applesauce gave me problems when they were on the safe list.

The only problem is that I prefer to eat a vegetarian diet, which may prove quite tricky according to the guidelines. Oh well, we'll see...

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review