All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Butter substitute
      #362778 - 01/03/11 06:26 PM
jej

Reged: 01/03/11

Hi- I was recently in the health food store looking for a butter substitute. All of the products there seem to be made from canola oil. Any thoughts on what might work? Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Look for Earth Garden, Earth Balance, or Spectrum. -nt- new
      #362791 - 01/05/11 01:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

what is wrong with canola oil? nt new
      #362794 - 01/05/11 05:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Butter substitute new
      #362795 - 01/05/11 07:36 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

i really like smart balence light i've used it for years, and find it very same, when i bake I tend to use a substitute like apple sauce or fruit puree, as my tum sometimes can't handle a large amount of the butter in a recipe

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

For IBS, nothing at all - I was assuming she was allergic or some such. -nt- new
      #362810 - 01/07/11 01:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: For IBS, nothing at all - I was assuming she was allergic or some such. -nt- new
      #362827 - 01/09/11 09:20 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

The problem with canola oil and any butter substitue, like earth balance, is you MUST make sure it does not raise the % of calories of fat to more than 25%.
Typically baking recipes call for 1/2 cup of oil, which is too high.

Heather, when baking, how can you dilute the oil?
I mean if it calls for 1/2 cup of oil, do you just cut it to 1/4 cup of oil+1/4 cup apple sauce???

Re: For IBS, nothing at all - I was assuming she was allergic or some such. -nt- new
      #362846 - 01/10/11 01:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

It really depends on the recipe. For moist, dense things like quick breads you can usually get away with 1/4 to 1/3 cup oil per 9 x 5 inch loaf. If more oil is called for in the recipe make up the balance with the fruit or veggie puree.

For things like shortbread or pie crust, you can't make subs like this.

Best bet is to ask about a specific recipe with the ingredients listed, on the IBS recipe board. You'll get much more accurate ideas and answers.

XOO
H

--------------------

using a diet margarine new
      #362851 - 01/10/11 06:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

makes it really hard to get too much fat. Of course it doesn't matter what kind of fat it is for percentage. Canola is healthy as long as it is not hydrogenated. I use Best Life EVOO diet margarine now. The only oil with a problem is palm oil which is in everything and is harvested by cutting down the rainforests that animals need who can live nowhere else. However I would rather use a little palm oil than use something that would make me sick.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You might want to try Melt new
      #362900 - 01/13/11 05:04 PM
Cygnia

Reged: 01/13/11

Personally I am a believer of virgin coconut oil and the medium chain fatty acids that were a very supportive food while I was healing from multiple digestive disorders and on a highly restricted diet that was killing me. It also balanced my blood sugar levels, so its was a big discovery that really helped me on my journey. I am a little cynical of the IBS diagnosis - it seems to be the doctor's way of saying, "Gosh we don't really know what is wrong with you", which is at best demoralizing and at worst useless for helping to turn it around. "Melt" is a new butter substitute that is made with virgin coconut oil and flax seed oil (among others) - a great combination for digestive inflammation. It's really rich and creamy and adds a great taste to low heat-cooking (e.g., frying up eggs). I have tried just about all of them (Brummel and Brown, I Can't Believe [How Bad This Tastes], Smart Balance, etc), and this is the best one I have found. Melt is also organic, high in Omega 3s and medium chain fatty acids (the good fats), and no artificial colors, additives, or weird chemicals so common to margarine and other butter substitutes (and that cause IBS to some extent as well, specifically hydrogenated oils). They are going soy-free mid-2011 as well.

Re: You might want to try Melt new
      #362901 - 01/13/11 05:28 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks for this info. I have never heard of this. I usually use Earth Balance, but I am always searching. I will give it a try and let you know what I think. Do you need to buy it in a health food store? I don't believe I have seen it in the supermarket.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review