All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How long after eating does it take to notice an offender?
      #362444 - 12/11/10 04:53 AM
mcmom

Reged: 12/11/10

I've recorded food I ate and tried to detect what was still a trigger for IBS-D, but I'm not sure. Is it when the offender enters the Large bowel that it causes D? or just right after you eat it? It seems that most of the time 2 days after I eat a suspected trigger I have pain in my intestines and D. But sometimes it's only hours after that it starts. Is the length of time before symptoms appear different for different foods?
Thanks. Mcmcom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long after eating does it take to notice an offender? new
      #362446 - 12/11/10 05:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Yes - offending food can take from a few hours to a couple of days to trigger IBS symptoms. And sometimes just the act of eating can stimulate the gastrocolic reflex and trigger IBS symptoms. For example, foods high in insoluble fiber (e.g. whole cereal grains) or for some people foods with excess fructose (apples, pears, honey, etc) can trigger symptoms in a short period of time while for others it can take much longer or not at all.

Have you read about Heather's Eating for IBS (EFI) diet? Have you had a fructose malabsorption breath test?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362448 - 12/11/10 07:20 AM
mcmom

I have read Heather's book. I have been watching what I eat. Yesterday I ate out for breakfast 10:00 am, eggbeaters, dry toast, orange marmalade, tomato juice, and fruit cup- melon + pineapple. but I seem to have trouble with this restaurant, and I wondered if they use some grease when they cook the eggs, but the menu said it was "low fat". It did irritate my intestines within 2 hours. I have not had the fructose test. Does fructose upset you immediately?

#362449 - 12/11/10 07:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Orange marmalade, pineapple and melons are quite high in insoluble fiber which is a GI trigger. Notice pineapple and melon is on Heather's insoluble fiber list and can be a trigger.

I have troubles with food high in excess fructose (i.e. more glucose than fructose) and high insoluble fiber. I feel the effects within a couple of hours at times and at other times it may be the next day. It seems to depend on how much I have eaten.

You might read the article on FODMAPs which are linked to in my signature. I use a combination of Heather's EFI diet and the FODMAP diet which has been extensively clinically tested in GI disorders like IBS to control my IBS symptoms with good results.

Have you been diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362450 - 12/11/10 08:08 AM
mcmom

I was diagnosed by a Dr.over 10 years ago with IBS. Had lots of tests, but they never tested for fuctose, lactose allergies. And later my primary suggested it could have been antibiotic related, I was really bad then. I was well in Aug, and ate a lot of Peanut M& M's. They had no effect for days, but I think they had a cumulative effect. Then in Sept I was having trouble all the time. I was having a lot of pain & D in September and found this website.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3820

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review