All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: bermudakate new
      #361946 - 11/07/10 01:11 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Hmmm...

I am still not clear on what IBS is then. For me the definition would be reacting to IF either with C or D or alternating. If you ate just IF, would you have problems?

You see the whole issue with bloating for me is that I am bloated with IBS because of the C. I have had problems with bloating pre-IBS but that was different and I now know that the bloating occurs because of slow bowel movements. I think bloating is a lot more common within the general population as well and for them eating whole grains for instance actually helps. I know it helped me with the bloating pre-IBS.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#361947 - 11/07/10 01:25 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My bloating is more caused by gas, not C. Trapped gas - I don't pass gas very easily.

As for the definition of IBS, the Rome criteria don't make any mention of IF. IBS is basically defined by abnormal bowel habits, causing discomfort/pain, with no known organic cause (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

"If you ate just IF, would you have problems?" Only IF foods, nothing else? Yes, I'd have problems. IF foods with SF foods? Yes, problems. Only SF? Yes, problems. The gut is chronically dysfunctional. The foods may aggravate or help, but IBS is not, by definition, a reaction to particular foods. At least mine isn't.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361949 - 11/07/10 10:53 PM
CellSalts_Work

I am pretty sure that my definition of IBS is restricted but in my view if you have problems with SF alone as well then the EFI diet is indeed unhelpful and you don't really have IBS as such. I have trapped gas and bloating because of C and sluggish bowel movements. The trapped gas and bloating in the past when I was still healthy and I occasionally had it was a completely different.

If I ate just SF now I would not really have it. It's the IF that is the main problem hence why I need the EFI diet. I am not at all sure why you would have to carry on eating as advised for IBS then since you obviously don't have IBS in this sense and you yourself said that when you ate normally you felt better? If I'd known that you don't really have what I call IBS I would never have suggested you not eating fruit on its own. For non-proper-IBS people it may even help I hear.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361950 - 11/07/10 10:56 PM
CellSalts_Work

PS please try the cell salts, Schuessler salts=tissue salts, they really can help!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Cellsalts... new
      #361967 - 11/09/10 12:24 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a feeling we are not going to agree on this. I am not sure where you got the idea that IBS was by definition a reaction to IF. That's like saying IBS is defined as an intolerance to alcohol, or to greasy foods - yes, they both make IBS worse, but that's not intergral to a diagnosis of the illness itself.

The Rome III criteria define IBS as follows:

Symptoms of recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort and a marked change in bowel habit for at least six months, with symptoms experienced on at least three days of at least three months. Two or more of the following must apply:
1. Pain is relieved by a bowel movement
2. Onset of pain is related to a change in frequency of stool
3. Onset of pain is related to a change in the appearance of stool.

On this website, Heather's aim is to help us strike a balance in our diet that keeps digestive systems running on an even keel - not too fast, not too slow, rhythmic and calm. She asserts that combining our IF intake with SF will assist in that goal. That is why IF is involved in these dicussions.

And I most definitely have IBS! Wish I didn't, but I do.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: will my IBS just keep getting worse? new
      #362042 - 11/15/10 04:15 AM
Donna281

Reged: 08/16/10

It can get a lot worse. I've had it since my late teens(now I'm in my late twenties) and this years it worse that ever. I have so much severe trapped gas , constipation, cramps, bloating, sharp gas pains, insomnia, fatique,pms ,headache ,muscle pain 24 /7 . I have yeast overgrowth.

I feel for u. I don't know what to do.
No doc will help. I'm so scared andevery day is a nightmare.

Re: will my IBS just keep getting worse? new
      #362076 - 11/16/10 05:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow that sounds like me except I am in my mid thirties. I am worse this year out of nowhere.
Yeast overgrowth is interesting. I really need to cut out sugar since yeast could be adding to my problems.
Right now I am trying a month without b/c pills. My friend has been really sick for a few years now and has been in the Mayo clinic and had all sorts of parts removed in an attempt to make her better. She stopped her b/c pills and got immediately better (she doesn't have IBS; I mean health in general). She wrote to all the doctors she's seen to tell them and some are testing their patients off b/c. So I figured I would go off for one month. also I am making sure I get enough protein since I have such good days and then such bad, I thought maybe I didn't get enough protein when I feel so low and tired and achy-like. BTW some of those symptoms aren't IBS technically. Alot of people get tired, achy, nauseated, etc. but they aren't truly just IBS. Although anyone after D or with relentless C can be quite fatigued!
I hope I can improve my worsened state and help others with what improved it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review