All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: will my IBS just keep getting worse? new
      #361871 - 11/04/10 05:55 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i don't think you should listen to people who criticize you for not totally following the EFI diet. sometimes following it to a T works for people, sometimes it needs to be adjusted a bit, sometimes it doesn't work at all. everyone is different! Personally, I can tolerate some things that are "no-no's" (eg: caffeine, coconut, tiny amounts of hard, aged cheeses). you should only take from this board those posts that have your best interest in mind and are trying to help you with your problem, not tell you that you are not following the diet correctly. just my opinion.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bermudakate new
      #361890 - 11/04/10 01:34 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You are so right about this. Nice comment for Renee. She needs the positive right now.

Re: will my IBS just keep getting worse? new
      #361895 - 11/04/10 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

People who tell someone they are not following the diet correctly DO have someone's best interest in mind!!! and are trying to help someone get better! What do you think (you and others) that some posters just enjoy coming here, reading posts and pointing out where people are erring for nothing but their own gratification?

People love to say they can eat anything, that the diet doesn't work for everyone and get offended when someone contradicts them. No one is saying any diet, including this one, will 100% cure IBS. But I do know this, for as bad as my symptoms are they 1) get much worse when I go off the diet- I feel it almost instantly when I screw up and 2) I have been very stable from the diet at times in my life but cannot sustain that. However it does show me, even in my worst, darkest times of doubt that staying away from trigger foods, eating a SF base and maintaining a low fat diet is only good for IBS. My IBS had worsened because I cannot handle stress, but I still don't think there is anything wrong with the EFI guidelines when they are followed (and C people get enough IF).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: bermudakate new
      #361899 - 11/04/10 05:09 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

thank you! i am very sensitive to someone having problems adjusting to a diet after eating disorders. my sister was/is anorexic and i saw her hospitalized and clinging on to life at 80 lbs. you cannot tell someone who has had such hardships with food to just stick to this or that and you will feel better. it's not that simple.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361900 - 11/04/10 05:18 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone, thanks for all your concern and helpful comments. I realize in hindsight that I opened a can of worms. One of the goals in recovering from eating disorders is to significantly loosen one's rules about food, so working on that goal while simultaneously following a set of rules about food (EFI) poses a unique challenge! It's something I am continually working on. I appreciate all the advice here.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361901 - 11/04/10 05:29 PM
Gerikat

Yes I agree and you are welcome. I know Renee from chatting with her from here and another site. I know her struggles along with Frygirl's. I appreciate all they have gone through. So, any positivity directed towards anyone in this situation can only help in the long run.

Like they say, unless you have walked in someone else's shoes, well...

Renee new
      #361902 - 11/04/10 05:33 PM
Gerikat

Hi again. How are you? No, you didn't open a can of worms. Unless one has an eating disorder, then they probably cannot understand the situation and the obsession with food, and the meaning in your post.

It is a tough situation you find yourself in, and I hope that you can find your way to healing, whatever route that takes.

#361943 - 11/07/10 10:52 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I merely suggested trying following the EFI diet, don't know if you've ever properly done that?! I'd have merely assumed that if you're recovering from anorexia then eating something which upsets your digestion will put you off eating even more? However if you have your digestion on an even keel with the EFI diet that in itself should ensure that at least you won't be having to deal with the bloating and all that.

I wish you the best of course!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#361944 - 11/07/10 12:03 PM
renee21

Hi, I do basically follow EFI. I eat SF and IF at every meal. I take acacia, probiotics, enzymes and Beano. I drink fennel tea. I don't eat most of the trigger foods - gassy, spicy, high-fat, caffeine, alcohol etc. I do find that the white-flour products endorsed by EFI just bung me up. And I guess the biggest difference is that I am back to eating dairy, 3 times a day. I cut it out for around 10 years and it didn't make any difference. I have several professionals urging me to eat it, esp since I tested negative for lactose intolerance and didn't notice that it made my IBS worse. So I am eating it. I do notice that a lot of cheese will make me C, but I don't feel any more or less C or bloated eating kefir, non-fat greek yoghurt, lactose-free milk and small amounts of low-lactose cheeses like swiss and parmesan.

Honestly, like everyone on this site, I have been tinkering with my diet for the past 15 years in attempt to deal with my symptoms. I cut out more and more foods. It didn't make my symptoms more manageable, and it did make me much more obsessed with and stressed out about food. I really feel that diet is not going to the be the answer for me. Yes, eating the way I do now gives me less pain than if I were scarfing hot wings and diet coke, but I don't believe that my getting "stable" depends on stumbling upon the right mix of foods. I think it's going to take a lot more than that. I also think that it's doubtful I'll ever get stable, if history is any indication.

I might note that when I went into ED treatment this spring, I was faced with a compulsory diet that was very "normal" and thus very different to how I'd been eating. And I actually felt better there than I'd had in ages. Yes, I was more bloated (which all anorexics experience during refeeding, as the body takes a while to adjust to the increased volume and fiber), but I was not as crampy as I am now that I'm out of treatment and experiencing more of life's stresses. But I'm still not even sure that stress is the crucial difference here - maybe it was the sheer volume of food I was putting into myself during refeeding that created a buffer against the cramping. I am now on a smaller maintenance meal plan, but I am thinking of increasing my dose of acacia to see if that helps with the cramping after BMs. I am currently taking 1 tbsp at breakie and dinner and thinking I should add one at lunch.

--------------------

Edited by renee21 (11/07/10 12:07 PM)

.. and on a related note new
      #361945 - 11/07/10 12:22 PM
renee21

If there is anyone on this board who had IBS as a result of an eating disorder and who has achieved stability with EFI, I would love to hear from you!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 410 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review