All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Citrucel
      #360893 - 09/12/10 08:35 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

My doctor when he first diagnosed me with IBS had me taking Citrucel twice a day. It's a tablespoon of citrucel with 8 oz of cold water. I've been doing that now for over a year. I take it in the morning and in the evening before dinner. I didn't know if anyone else did this? I'm not sure if it really makes a difference or not. I haven't tried not taking it because I'm afraid of getting sick. I was wondering what others do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Citrucel new
      #360896 - 09/12/10 12:17 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

The only type of fibre supplements I have tried are psyllium and methylcellulose. The latter is the ingredient of Citrucel as far as I'm aware, I went for the no-brand nothing but white powder form of it. I did find that if you don't drink a lot of fluids it can actually exarcebate the C, although there is no scientific base for this, fluid intake just on account of taking it should not necessarily increase, but in my case it really had to.

I'm not taking any fibre supplement at the moment and haven't done so for over a year. Only started Heather's diet in earnest of late, but before that, for a year I had everything a normal person would, with a lot of IF like broccoli, peas, corn and cauliflower, etc. Occasional eggs containing yolk and red meat too... As I said, just through random experimentation, knew that fruit gave me huge problems, so cut out all fruit except for apples and bananas, and never ever ate wholemeal bread. Also drank alcohol. Ie was ingesting all these non-recommendable foods, result: while things were not running entirely smoothly, had no proper C, but there was a lot of bloating and irregularity, never had proper debilitating C, the kind I'd have if I ate a slice of pear/two grapes, etc now. Fruit really does seem to be the worst offender for me.

So this is what happened even without a fibre supplement in the face of ignorantly eating the way I was. I am rambling terribly, apologies, in short, I think that with the EFI diet WITHOUT a fibre supplement you can be completely stable, but will report back once I've been going with the diet for a while.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#360898 - 09/12/10 01:15 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I take a generic version of Benefiber. I don't know how much of a difference it makes anymore, but before I was stable it was a must-do. Helped so much.

#360899 - 09/12/10 02:52 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

What brand do you use? Where do you buy it?

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#360901 - 09/12/10 04:51 PM
gizmo

The brand is Citrucel and you can buy it at Wal-Mart or probably any other grocery store or drug store. Here's a link for it... http://www.citrucel.com/
They make it in powder form and pill. I think the powder form works the best but I also have the pill form I keep in my purse for when I'm out. For example now that football season has started it's tradition to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers games at my in-laws every Sunday and we stay for dinner. I don't like bringing the powder with me because it's a pain in the butt when I'm out. I bring the pill form with me instead because it's more convenient. I hope this helps let me know how it goes.

#360902 - 09/12/10 04:54 PM
gizmo

That's what I was wondering too because now that I've been on the EFI diet and I've gotten it under control and feel pretty good for the most part I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not. I may have to experiment and find out.

What is the brand and where do you buy it? new
      #360903 - 09/12/10 05:10 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Snorkie - I meant what is the brand and where do you buy the generic benefiber?

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Re: What is the brand and where do you buy it? new
      #360904 - 09/12/10 07:01 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I buy the store brand at CVS Pharmacy. It's called CVS Easy Fiber.

It's corn dextrin according to the label.

#360905 - 09/13/10 07:09 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

When I was diagnosed (13 years ago)! the doctor told me to do the same thing. For me, it helped a tiny bit and then caused me to bloat and get a bit gassy. I have had MUCH more success with the acacia tummy fiber, which is fabulous!!!!!!! I stopped for a while and then the bloat started coming back (BAD), so now i am back on a regular schedule of 2T a day after 6 weeks of adjusting the dose. so worth it!! i'm using it for life. you might wanna try it.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#360948 - 09/15/10 04:28 AM
gizmo

I was wondering about the acacia tummy fiber. It's been a few days now since I've taken the Citrucel and I'm not sure if I feel any differently yet. I'm going to give it some time and see. I'm going to consider the acacia tummy fiber. I finally ordered the tummy teas and I can't wait for those to come in. I appreciate the help!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review