All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
elimination of certain foods- not missing out on nutrients?
      #360381 - 08/17/10 10:41 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

According to the guidelines on this website fats are the worst offenders and red meat, dairy products and egg yolks are to be eliminated entirely. Now, in my younger years, pre-IBS, I always used to hate red meat or any other type of meat apart from white chicken breast and I would never ever eat the egg yolk part of eggs but my mum insisted that I ate tiny amounts as they apparently contained nutrients that no other foods did and she feared that I'd be missing out on them. Comment please?

Also, regarding dairy products, I see that this site recommends alternatives to milk like soy milk and rice milk, but these foods are substantially more expensive than the normal variety. For a healthy person however, a certain percentage of their daily diet should involve dairy products from what I gather. Does this mean that if I cut out dairies I would be compromising my health? Or would it be ok to eliminate them completely too?

thank you in advance.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: elimination of certain foods- not missing out on nutrients? new
      #360385 - 08/17/10 11:13 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I buy fortified soy milk that has the equivelent nutrition of cow's milk. Check out the nutrition labels, though, because not all soy milk is fortified, at least not in the US.

#360386 - 08/17/10 11:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The yolk contains 50% fat and a lot of cholesterol. The white contains the protein. There are no exceptional benefits to eating egg yolks that you cannot get from other foods.

Similarly, there is nothing unique in dairy products that one cannot easily get through other foods in the diet. It is quite ok to completely eliminate all dairy products.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360390 - 08/17/10 11:56 AM
Legalgirl

Reged: 08/09/10

I've not eaten dairy for probably 20 years. Take a calcium supplement and also a GOOD multivitamin daily, and you won't have to worry.

#360391 - 08/17/10 12:15 PM
CellSalts_Work

thanks. It's not the calcium deficiency I'm worried about, can get that from nuts and stuff. It's more like B12, found in liver and egg yolk...

never ever taken vitamin supplement in my life, apart from omega 3 tablets. have always avoided anything artificial. maybe it's time for a change.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360392 - 08/17/10 12:19 PM
CellSalts_Work

Never had cholesterol problems, except once and then they were too low! I was ordered to eat more fat...

Scouring wikipedia now, seems to me that apart from Vitamin D, all seems perfectly alright without egg yolk.

I may have to resort to vitamin supplements then, although even the thought of something so artificial makes me shiver

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360393 - 08/17/10 12:23 PM
CellSalts_Work

Edit: cod liver oil contains vitamin D as does salmon. (hope it's fine to eat the latter, only type of fish I ever eat...)

Cod liver oil and omega 3 oil capsules are permissible right?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360394 - 08/17/10 12:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some people with IBS cannot tolerate omega 3 oil capsules while some can. You will have to determine if they are okay for you.

BTW - here is a link to the UK rice dream website. I vaguely remembering see it in Sainbury's or Tesco.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360396 - 08/17/10 01:29 PM
CellSalts_Work

Cheers for that! I'm in mainland Europe at the moment but will definitely check it out once I'm back in good old England. I am not really surprised as I imagine that one can get most things in Britain that is available across the Atlantic. Praise globalisation!

Thanks so much for all your kind and much appreciated help btw!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360398 - 08/17/10 01:47 PM
CellSalts_Work

And by the looks of it: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=milk&SortBy=3

permissible milk is by no means that expensive compared with traditional milk. I am in Hungary at the moment and here it is exorbitant, but seems to me that in the UK it's easily affordable. I have not really drunk milk over the past year, but when I did I went for long life milk and then the cheapest brand, Asda smartprice or equivalent. Just seen that there is a 'smartprice' soy milk variant as well. If it is not contaminated, good enough for me

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#360454 - 08/19/10 07:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is B12 in soy milk, at least in this country. They also add it to other fortified foods so it is not a problem. I repeat, even vegans rarely have a problem with B12. It is funny when people think the IBS diet will give them less nutrients or somehow be less healthy when, in fact, it is one of the healthiest eating plans. Most people eat crap diets with mac n cheese, french fries, chicken strips, pizza, hamburger helper, etc. Those are the people that are pasty grey from lack of nutrients. My husband worked with someone who just died of a heart attack in his 40s because all he ate was fried bar food (he owned a bar) day in and day out.

You don't need a vitamin supplement if you can get to a point of eating a varied diet rich in whole foods and veg.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360455 - 08/19/10 07:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do take large amounts of vitamin D in the long Minnesota winter.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#360467 - 08/20/10 04:35 AM
CellSalts_Work

thanks. I've never ever gone for those kind of foods you suggested, they are vile. Pre-IBS I used to eat a lot of fruits, IS veggies and lean meat. Can you see why I had absolutely no fat on me and had an amazing body? Now I have problems with fruits and IS veggies. I know I cannot forgo them, but the temptation is strong, I hate sluggish digestion, which is what IBS is saddling me with. Esp regarding fruits, there are months when I eat nothing but bananas and apples. All other fruits make my bowels cease up. I do eat a lot of cauliflower and broccoli and the like but I know that these alone can wreak havoc as well. Oh

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2884 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review