All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any advice please
      #359443 - 06/24/10 09:36 AM
Adrienne2823

Reged: 06/18/10
Loc: Denver, CO

New to posting on forum (but have been visiting for quite some time)

I have IBS-D/Gas. I was diagnosed back when I was 17 (almost 27 now) after a battery of tests and some doctors brushing me off..."its all in your head" because nothing is "physically wrong with you" I have had digestive problems since I was little, they said when I was 7 I had a "fiber deficiency"

For the most part my IBS has been under control with the help of diet and exercise, but I am finding that anytime my anxiety flares up or something stressful happens my IBS goes in to full on scary mode. (In which the last 2 months I have had the problem). I am nervous anytime I leave the house...for work, social gatherings, spending time with family, grocery shopping...you name it, in fear of an attack. My problem is almost always in the mornings when I have to go to the bathroom and I just hope that all is well and lately it has not been.

I am aware of my trigger foods and I have totally cut them out in the last 2 months and stuck to Heather's diet (as best as I possibly can) and my symptoms seem to be worse for some reason. Some of the crap I used to eat didn't bother me most of the time like hamburgers, french fries, mexican food etc. My husband thinks I am worrying about it too much and getting worked up about everything.

My typical day is oatmeal for breakfast, then a banana for a snack sometimes with the Honey Glazed Mix, lunch I usually have a Healthy Choice chicken and rice or chicken and potato meal (all the dairy free versions, and these have never bothered me in the past), afternoon snack I usually have pretzels alone or with natural applesauce, dinner usually grilled chicken on the bbq with a plain baked potato and sometimes I will cook carrots with them. Sometimes if we go to Subway I get a turkey sandwich (no mayo no cheese) and very light on the veggies (which this has also not bothered me in the past)

I have ordered the Yoga for Stress Relief video in hopes of helping and I have also made an appt with my doctor. I am scared to go on another med (the last one I was on last year, Lexapro...made me gain 30 lbs until I weaned myself off of it) but I am afraid it will be the only help.

Any advice would be really helpful

--------------------
IBS-D w/gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any advice please new
      #359484 - 06/27/10 06:50 AM
Adrienne2823

Anyone?

I am still concerned because I really am sticking to the diet and in the mornings the second my body wakes up I am running to the bathroom. I checked out this chart: http://www.gillianmckeith.info/yourbody/health/stoolanalysispoochart.php
and I am consistently a 5 or 6 with a 7 maybe once every couple weeks. I am afraid I am not absorbing much of what I am eating.

I don't take a multivitamin because every brand I have tried literally goes right through me. I take Benefiber everyday (I ordered the Tummy Fiber to see if I will have better results). I am also drinking 2-3 cups of hot peppermint tea every day (which I never did before)I am just confused because I have found myself much more gassy and in the mornings things are much more urgent than ever before really sticking to this diet. Am I missing something? Am I just adjusting? I am trying to get this under control as best as I can because I want to get healthy before trying to start a family (which will probably be stressful as it is!)

--------------------
IBS-D w/gas

#359486 - 06/27/10 08:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you had a fructose malabsorption test or tried removing foods with excess fructose (i.e. more fructose than glucose) such as apples, pears, grapes and their juices, honey, etc from your diet? Fructose malabsorption is known to occur in up to 50% of individuals with IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359494 - 06/27/10 11:55 AM
Adrienne2823

I have not had that test. I am going to the doctor on Tuesday and I am going to ask them to give it to me. I haven't had any applesauce in a few days and I stopped eating the Honey Glazed Mix in hopes of helping some symptoms.

After reading some of the other posts I may mention testing for celiac disease as well, although I think my symptoms would be much worse if that was the case (from what I have read up on)

Thank you for the advice!

--------------------
IBS-D w/gas

#359496 - 06/27/10 02:55 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Adrienne. I guess you are aware that is more than just about food. Sometimes, it has to do with emotions, stress, etc., so I would also take a look at my life. For me anymore, I have come to realize that is all about my life, and not the specific food. Good luck at the docs!

And by the way, I think it is well worth getting checked for celiac disease. I would ask my doc about that, before worrying about fructose.

Something else I would recommend is the hypnosis cds. They will really help with your fears of leaving the house. They are wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review