All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
freezing food questions
      #356778 - 03/17/10 09:58 PM

Unregistered

how do I know what would be good to freeze and how long I can store it for in the freezer. I want to start freezing about half of my recipes so I can take them out a couple weeks later and unthaw,does the food still taste good like that? what kind of container should I store things in..I made this tonight..can I freeze this? http://www.recipezaar.com/Potato-Crab-Chowder-79222 I used soy milk,imitation crab,and chooped the potatoes and onion to a fine mush..btw the potatoes looked discolored and tasted diffrent when I did that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: freezing food questions new
      #356782 - 03/18/10 04:45 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

That recipe should freeze just fine. (Sounds pretty good, too.) Generally speaking, the better something is sealed the longer it will store in the freezer. I've stored things in the freezer for up to a year without a problem.

However, things like pasta don't freeze well. I find it gets a little mushy. Something like chicken noodle soup or even lasagna might be fine, but I wouldn't freeze spaghetti. Hope that helps.

#356786 - 03/18/10 08:41 AM

Unregistered

what types of containers work best for sealing stuff good? not sure I even have any spare containers to use in the freezer,but what If I find one but can't find a lid is tin foil good?

#356787 - 03/18/10 08:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is best to freeze food in air tight containers to prevent freezer burn. A ziploc bag or plastic container with a snap on lid is best. A tin foil lid on a container does not make a very good seal.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356790 - 03/18/10 10:32 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi aperson!
I freeze a lot of soup in freezer bags. I put the soup in, seal it and lay it flat in the freezer to freeze. That way it's really thin and doesn't take up a lot of room in the freezer. just make sure to get freezer bags, not just big baggies.

--------------------
IBS-A

#356791 - 03/18/10 10:51 AM

Unregistered

so it will say like "ziplock freezer bags" on it? do u just get gallon ones or what sizes? if I make a imitation crab meat pasta salad with like onions,celery and vegenaise should I keep the pasta separate so I can freeze the crab vegainaise mixture or should I not freeze vegenaise?

#356792 - 03/18/10 10:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I use quart-sized Hefty freezer bags. Ziploc would be fine too. I don't use gallon-size just because I like freezing a couple portions at a time so I don't have to eat the same thing too many days in a row.

I don't use veganaise, so I can't help with that one.
Freezing may change the texture of the vegetable, especially if they're raw.

#356797 - 03/18/10 02:59 PM

Unregistered

what about in the crab soup i mentioned i blended the onion and potatoes and even the creamed corn in a food chopper to a mush. the potatoes started looking discolored and tasted diffrent after I blended them to a mush..do u think the texture of it will change if i freeze it or is it fine?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review