All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble fiber and hydration
      #356755 - 03/17/10 05:47 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I am certain that I have some sort of intolerance to rice and rice milk. Similar the the intolerance I have to wheat and soy in that a little amount seems ok but too much causes huge problems.
Yesterday I had plain white rice (maybe 1 cup cooked) nothing at all on it but salt. I felt fine for a bit and then 30 min later I get the same thing every time I eat rice. My stomach feels a little bloated and gassy. It gets all sloshy like. Then the next day I usually have trouble going to the bathroom. The only thing I can think of is that I am not properly hydrated.
Do you think this would affect the movement of rice through the large intestine? Maybe my intestines are too dry and there is not enough water to absorb (and since rice is high in solubles it absorbs up all the water right)?
Anyone have any ideas, I sure dont want to stop eating rice products too!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble fiber and hydration new
      #356756 - 03/17/10 06:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you get roughly 8 glass of water including the water in the foods you eat you are unlikely to get dehydrated. Essentially you have to drink enough water to replace the water you urinate and loss through sweat to remain satisfactorily hydrated.

Only a small percentage of rice is soluble fiber. Most of rice is composed of very easy to digests carbohydrates. A small percentage - less than 5% - is a resistant starch that acts like a soluble fiber which is indigestible and travels undigested to the colon. However, unlike insoluble fiber it does not absorb water. Soluble fiber dissolves in water to form a gel that is why it is called soluble fiber because it is soluble in water.

Could you simply be experiencing the gastrocolic reflex? Heather has an explanation of it on this web page. Basically what happens is when food leaves the stomach and starts entering the small intestine about 30-60 minutes after you eat it cause contractions in the colon producing the feelings of gassy and bloating felt by those with IBS. It may not have anything to do with food you eat but simply the act of eating. It happens to me frequently. What happens when you eat rice with a small amount of insoluble fiber from veggies?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356776 - 03/17/10 08:12 PM
Allisonmary

I do sweat a lot and I don't get as thirsty as I think I should especially after exercise. I can run 10 miles and then forget to drink. I never used to be like that. I was reading about chronic dehydration and how you don't feel thirsty but are actually dehydrated. You think thats true?
But anyway, yea thx those graphs are interesting. I just get this distinct feeling though after eating rice tho, maybe just becuase of the heavy sticky texture I don't know. The same thing happens when I have it with veggies if the rice is the main part of the meal. But I think with the veggies I don't feel so backed up the next day as I do if I eat just plain rice.
So is eating the only thing that causes those gi contractions, or can stress alone do that too?
I was wondering whether or not it is a good idea then to snack a lot during the day. I would think that snacking too much may trigger this response more and cause even more gas and bloating?
Have there been other studies done like this to show how different foods and conditinos affect the contractions do you know?

#356783 - 03/18/10 05:49 AM
Syl

I am not famaliar with chronic dehydration. It probably something you should talk to a doctor about. However, if you urine is light yellow and as Dr. Oz says ' just drink enough water so that your urine is clear or 'you can read throught it' then you are well hydrated.

The sticky texture is due to the resistant starch it contains which works as a soluble fiber. It is undigestable and in the colon it is fermented like many other soluble fibers. It is the good stuff for IBSers. White rice and oatmeal are my primary source of soluble fiber. BTW - I presume you have be talking about white not brown rice?

In Heather's FAQ she suggests eating small meals frequently.

IBS trigger foods are well known to cause these contractions. And simply the act of eating independent of what food you eat can stimulate these contractions. That is what the graphs I directed you to were showing. Yes - stress can cause GI spasms too.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#356803 - 03/19/10 04:17 AM
Allisonmary

I can see why you should eat smaller frequent meals to not shock the body with a lot of food. I wonder though if constant picking on food is not the best idea because it may cause too much stimulation?
Yea I'm talking about white rice. I was just thinking that I almost always bring white rice with me either to school or work. I wonder if the stress of eating someplace other than home is what does it for me. Also, I'm always moving around and when I eat something at school I am just sitting and I think that makes it worse for me. So yesterday I had it at home, not as much becuase I was afraid, but I was completely fine with it:)
I have a couple of other questions too-
1. When heather says its important to eat insolubles. DOes this mean food that is higher in insolubles than solubles? Or does like bananas, carrots, and oatmeals count?
2. Is there any bread that I can buy or make that is wheat free, soy free, and fructose free- like a potato bread maybe?
3. I was reading about the Vitamin C how its acidic and may cause problems, do you think cocoa which is also very acidic can cause problems in the lower gi also?
4. Syl, how exactly do you make your berry juice again? What berries do you use?
THanks!

#356804 - 03/19/10 05:29 AM
Syl

Interesting you find you have less troubles when you are standing up and moving around. I am the same way. Sitting down after eating usually makes me feel bloated too. As I recall there have been others on the board who have noticed the same thing.

1. I believe she means to eat as much food with insoluble fiber as you can. However, individuals with IBS-D usually find that it difficult to eat foods with more insoluble that soluble fiber. Individuals with IBS-C frequently can eat foods with a bit more insoluble than soluble fiber. I am IBS-D and never eat foods with more insoluble than soluble fiber.
2. I don't know much about commercial breads. I have a bread maker and I make sourdough bread. I have no difficulties with 1-2 thin slices of bread a day.
3. I have chocolate sauce made from coco powder on a slice of toasted sourdough bread almost every evening. I need a daily hit of chocolate to feel alive! I have not noticed any difficulties with it. However, if you have acid reflux or you are are not using pure coco powder it could be a problem. Chocolate contains some fat and caffeine which are a GI stimulant. Coco powder doesn't have this problem. Heather has a good note about it here
4. I buy a mixture of frozen raspberries, blueberries and blackberries from Costco. I put a few cup fulls in a big pot, let them thaw, warm them on the stove until near boiling, mash them well with a potato masher and then strain then through a jelly bag. I put the leftover berry mash in the compost and reserve the juice for making oatmeal and sometimes I use a tablespoon in cold water to make a refreshing drink. It keeps well in the fridge for a week or two.

--------------------

#356866 - 03/20/10 05:26 PM
Allisonmary

Thanks! I will make the drink because I cannot live on just water. I was drinking iced green tea but I don't think its the best for me either.
I always thought she meant eating foods with more insoluble is important. Just the thought of eating raw veggies hurts my stomach. Syl, do you eat any greens? Can I ask if you have a normal bowel movement, it seems like you always eat right. Like I notice that I have been feeling way better throughout the day with a change in my diet but it always takes forever for me to go to the bathroom in the morning even tho im not constipated. I dont think I get enough fiber but then when I do eat too much fiber I get sick at night feeling like I have to go but cant at night for whatever reason. Any ideas what I should do?

#356869 - 03/21/10 06:15 AM
Syl

Eating as much insoluble fiber as possible is important. For some of us in order to minimize the IBS symptoms we have to eat as little insoluble fiber as possible and as much soluble fiber as possible. I don't eat greens. In fact the only veggies I can eat are boiled carrots and small amounts of well cooked zucchini and sweet potato. That is about it. However, soon I am going to start experimenting with well cooked cauliflower and peeled broccoli. Whole fruit is almost out of the question except for bananas. The seeds in berries are a big problem that is why I resorted to using berry juice as source of vitamins and antioxidants.

I have not found a magic formula for determining how much insoluble fiber to eat. Generally speaking it seems IBS-D individuals do not tolerate insoluble fiber as well as those with IBS-C. However, it is really important to get as much soluble fiber in the form or resistant starches and other functional fibers like those you get from things like oatmeal, banana, rice, pasta, potatoes and foods containing pectin. It is a real balancing act but when I stick with this sort of diet I have 1 or 2 well formed BM each day. If I have just a bit too much IF or something high in FODMAPs then I start to have mushy and poorly formed BM a few times a day.

Say if you are interested in reading the new article I direct you to last week about the recently published diet from the Australian group here is a link to it at MedScape Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach. You have to register to gain access to the article. This version is missing the table which has good information about safe and unsafe foods. If you are interested I can post the table here for you.

--------------------

#356885 - 03/22/10 05:28 AM
Allisonmary

Thx Syl for the article, I signed up and I'll read it over later. So I have been pretty much pain free throughout the day right now, its just the bowel movements that are not normal for me. I was wondering what happens to you if you eat more than 2 pieces of bread, do you actually experience pain or is it just the bowel movements that aren't well formed?
I always hold myself back frmo doing fun things and going on vacations because I always worry about staying over night somewhere cause it takes me a while to go to the bathroom and I dont want anyone to think Im weird or something. YOu think eating more solubles would help me or is it the insolubles I may need to add.

#356903 - 03/23/10 05:31 AM
Syl

I experience some pain most of the time no matter what I eat. I use 3 mg of melatonin at bed time to reduce pain when it gets too bad. I don't think I can relate the pain to anything in particular.

Following Heather's advice I would eat as much soluble fiber foods (i.e more soluble than insoluble fiber) as possible with each and every meal and snack. You want to make sure you get 25-30 grams a day. Once you are reasonably stable then try adding small amount of insoluble fiber I.e more insoluble than soluble fiber). You can keep your insoluble fiber intake low for a considerable amount of time if you keep you soluble fiber intake high without problems.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review