All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal...Syl, about whole grains
      #356346 - 03/05/10 07:35 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I was wondering what kind of instant oatmeal everyone uses, I know some are not safe.

Syl, I'm a little confused about whole grains for IBS and for people with fructose issues. I know whole wheat is not good for either no matter what. Whole grain oats are ok right with a soluble fiber? What about whole grain rice in honey rice puffins cereal?
I bought thomas plain bagels the other day not realizing in little print they said whole grain. THe ingredient is whole white wheat flour which is still unsafe even though its soluble right?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal...Syl, about whole grains new
      #356348 - 03/05/10 08:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I only eat regular oatmeal. Some instant oatmeals have additives and flavoring which can be a trigger. Oatmeal contains roughly equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber.

Whole grains are not related to fructose issues. Whole grains can trigger IBS symptoms in all IBS suffers not just those with fructose malabsorption issues.

Some IBSers particularly those with IBS-C can handle brown rice while those with IBS-D can have more problems with it. As for the honey rice puffins I would be more worried about the excess fructose in honey.

Yes whole white wheat flour is a whole grain and considered unsafe.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356388 - 03/06/10 07:05 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Thanks Syl,
So, when you eat oatmeal in the morning, do you just have your oatmeal and a 1/2banana or do you need more soluble fiber. Usually I have farina but I am trying to cut back a little on the wheat. I tried having a tiny bit of oatmeal and it seems to be fine but Im just nervous about having more because of the insoluble fiber.
SO basically whole grain rice flour is like brown rice? I cannot eat plain brown rice.
How do you do with corn flour? I found english muffins. Everything looks safe except not sure about corn flour?
THis may be a stupid question but do you find that the wheat in pastas, breads, tortillas is different. Like one is better to have over the other. Basically pasta is all wheat so I was wondering if this may be worse than some breads that have other indgredients also? The problem with too much wheat is the fructans right? Do you think this would affect more the large intestine rather than fructose that would affect more of the small intestine. If I eat excess fructose foods the pain occurs pretty soon after eating, but too much wheat seems to affect me the next day or later on in the day.
Sorry for all the questions, I got a million!! Thanks for your help:)

#356390 - 03/06/10 07:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - I have regular oatmeal with 1/2 banana and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Also, I make juice concentrate from berries and I add 2 tablespoons to the water I use to prepare the oatmeal. It gives me some vitamins and antioxidants

Whole grain rice flour is essentially brown rice. I can handle small amount of corn flour periodically.

I have no problems with pasta or bread in limited quantities. I do eat tortillas mainly because I cannot find a brand with no additives.

Yes the problem with wheat, onion, garlic, etc is the fructans.

Fructose that is not absorbed in the small intestine and fructans which are indigestible are fermented in the large colon by the colonic bacteria. I find excess fructose bothers me within a couple of hours. Solids usually take 4-6 hours to reach the colon sugars can get there much quicker. If there is enough fructose in the food you ate it can have an osmotic laxative effect in the small intestine.

Great questions. Keep them coming

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356391 - 03/06/10 07:47 AM

Unregistered

syl will u read my "how I"m doing" post and help me plz.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review