All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Protein Powder
      #354863 - 01/26/10 03:42 AM
bperry0101

Reged: 01/16/10

I was curious to know if anyone else has problems with protein powder and IBS? I have been working out for months, and have lost a bit of weight and gained some muscle. I wanted to supplement my protein intake, so I bought some Muscle Milk which is lactose free. I make it with soy so I am not getting the diary. I can't tell if that is causing me IBS problems or if it is something else I am eating.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein Powder new
      #354898 - 01/26/10 12:07 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Muscle Milk is whey-based, with lots of other stuff in it:
http://www.cytosport.com/products/muscle-milk/muscle-milk-powder. I know this would really bug my tummy. Mixing it in soy milk like you do would also give me gas. I use a vanilla-flavoured hemp protein powder in my oatmeal and find it very tolerable.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#354924 - 01/27/10 07:16 AM
bperry0101

Thanks for the suggestion. Where is a good place to get the hemp and is there a certain brand you suggest? I looked at some and some reviews say that they clump at the bottom.

#354926 - 01/27/10 08:24 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I get mine at the health food store. I'm in Canada so the brand names might be different, but the ones I like are Living harvest and Manitoba Harvest.

I'm not sure about clumping since I mix mine into oatmeal, not a smoothie. But I've never had any problem with them.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#354951 - 01/27/10 11:21 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Egg Protein powder is what I use.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355070 - 01/30/10 06:14 PM
Naturapanic

Actually...I was wondering...I think the Egg Powder is starting to give me trapped gas.

1) Can that happen?
2) I NEED 200 grams of protein a day...so what else are my options?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355090 - 01/31/10 09:26 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I used rice protein powder; however it is still a meal replacement and too ucky to eat with food other than the smoothie I put it in. I am going to start up with it again now.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355124 - 01/31/10 05:43 PM
Naturapanic

LM...thanks...I had a big question.

I am VERY concerned about a recent development, as mentioned, the egg protein.
In the past, I noticed if I had Egg beaters for breakfast too many times a week I would get bloated/trapped gas.

Since I have upped my protein intake, I know need 1 gram per day, and it is crucial that I get some protein for breakfast.
I have been relying on anywhere from 2-4 shakes a day (4 on workout days).
Within the last several days my gut has become bloated-which I believe is due to trapped gas.
Prior to this my gut was pretty gassy.
So I am concerned that the Egg Powder IS causing gas/trapped gas/bloating.

I was curious if
1) You have heard of this or if this is possible?
2) What does this indicate...I have a sensitivity and must moderate intake?
3) What is the solution as if I scrap Egg Powder it will be very hard to meet protein requirements. I have no idea what to have in the AM besides an Egg Powder shake.
-Do you either know something which alleviates this problem OR any other suggestions for protein substitutes...especially in the AM breakfast?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Protein Powder
      #355125 - 01/31/10 05:46 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I used rice protein powder; however it is still a meal replacement and too ucky to eat with food other than the smoothie I put it in. I am going to start up with it again now.

Which Rice Protein Powder?
Most of the ones I heard of were Brown Rice...which I know I could not handle.

I did find online white rice http://gnhealthfoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=260&zenid=540d5a424be05bf5bfa1a4a43f264469 and even pea protein powder http://www.amazon.com/Pea-Protein-Unflavored-2-lbs/dp/B001DB4MFO/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3.

I am curious, what is your opinion?
Do you think these are more likely to be IBS friendly if I get problems when taking Egg White Powder too much?
Or is it same old?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355143 - 02/01/10 10:39 AM
bperry0101

I haven't used egg protein powder, but I know that eggs period gives me serve trapped gas, to the point I have to lie down because I'm in so much pain. That includes egg whites and egg beater whites, so I would stay away from egg and stick with either the rice, or as suggested hemp.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4895 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review