All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
sorbitol?
      #354798 - 01/23/10 08:26 AM

Unregistered

is it possible to have problems with sorbitol but not fructose? I think I'm seeing a pattern. I ate imitation crab meat that had sorbitol and felt sick after eating it. I ate heather's apricot glazed chicken recipe with peaches and a few minutes after felt nasous and sick and then vomited it all out. I never got sick after that,I didn't go back and try eating more of that,I went and ate other safe things and felt fine.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sorbitol? new
      #354800 - 01/23/10 09:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol and osmotic laxative know to be a problem for IBSers. Read the section in Heather's newsletter on Splenda and IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354801 - 01/23/10 09:36 AM

Unregistered

so that means no fruits or foods with sorbitol? where can I get a list of sorbitol foods? do you know any milk besides rice,soy or almond that is lactose free like goat's? I hear milk helps acid reflux. Is it possible I'm drinking too much fennel and thats wats causing nasty burps and food to come up my throat?

#354804 - 01/23/10 10:01 AM
Syl

Other than foods which have sorbitol added the only other thing you have to avoid are stone fruits such as plums, peaches, cherries and dried fruits. Apples and pears also have some sorbitol but less than the other fruits however it might be wise to be careful of dried apples and pears.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#354805 - 01/23/10 10:11 AM

Unregistered

it's possible I could have a pear in a recipe that's not dried fruit? do you know of any milk besides rice,soy,or almond without lactose that would help acid reflux,how about goat's? i heard ppl mention goat's.

#354807 - 01/23/10 10:27 AM
Syl

Pears and apples you will have to experiment with to see if the amount of sorbitol they contain does not affect you.

I don't goats milk is a good idea.

--------------------

#354808 - 01/23/10 10:38 AM

Unregistered

ok do you know something really ibs safe for heartburn,acid reflux and such? isn't mangoes and bananas good foods for that? but ive heard bananas make it worse from some ppl? what about papaya capsules juice,or tea?

this is random,but I have choc. soy milk and peanut butter and bananas,would that be too high in fat do u think? or I have bananas,and strawberries and blueberries. oops forgot to mention I' m talking about smootheis.

I could do half rice milk,half lite chocolate then banana and a little pb? probly leave out strawberries becaus before I make the smoothie I want some rolled oats with soymilk,brown sugar and a couple blueberries on top,it's heather's recipe.

is goat's milk bad for everyone or just some?

Edited by aperson (01/23/10 11:11 AM)

#354810 - 01/23/10 10:52 AM
Syl

You definitely have to watch the amount of fat you eat. How much PB are you putting in a 8oz glass of smoothie? One tablespoon of PB contains 8 grams of fat which is quite a bit.

I would talk to a doctor about how to handle acid reflux. Sometimes medication is the best solution.

--------------------

#354811 - 01/23/10 10:59 AM

Unregistered

thanks for advice. I am doing the acid reflux the natural way. I will go find my own way. I have no insurance and pay $100 every month out of pocket at the parmacy already. I am sensitive to medication so I do not want to add anything to the birth control pill. I will not even take midol. I won't even take anything when I have a bad runny nose and cold.

Well I didn't make the smoothie yet,but the soy milk is lite chocolate and just thought about putting in a little pb and then a banana in the smoothie with some strawberries.

#354812 - 01/23/10 11:03 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

yes and no. Sorbitol can cause problems but you would have to actually be allergic to it IMO to cause those symptoms. Sorbitol isn't a vomit inducing no-no.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review