All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Almond/Soy Milk, PB, Nuts, Bananas, and Mayo Questions!!!
      #354793 - 01/22/10 09:16 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Well I thought it would be more convenient to address all of these in one thread.
I think I have been deprieving myself of having these on a regular basis.

1) Soy Milk: Seems here most of you not only can have but you do drink a good amount.
Is it unusual than to have somebody like me who gets really bloated and gassy from it? Should I give it another try or is there an explanation?

2) Almond Milk: This is the only milk I have tried (Soy being the other) which has worked for me.
However, I only use it in cooking recipes (like pancakes). I never will sit down and drink Almond Milk, because it just seems even in cooking when I reach a certain threshold I get not so much gassy but bloated.
-Again...is this normal, is there an explanation, or should I give it another try?
-The reason I ask is that most recipes I see for protein shakes (which I will be taking) call for 1 cup of milk...and I am wondering if 1 cup of almond milk will be pushing it.

3) Peanut Butter: Again seems MOST of you can have this. How much is a non-lethal dose? When I have taken it before...PB has caused me to feel C and B.
-Would 1 TB mixed in a protein shake be diluted enough?

4) Nuts: I can't believe most of you tolerate this as well...how do you do it!

5) Bananas: Same thing...they make me feel bloated and irritated.

6) Mayo: I see a lot of you use low-fat mayo or veganese.
When I have had mayo...I get really bloated and it takes awhile to go down.

------------------------------------------------------------
My basic questions on these:

1) Am I the only one who finds this so off limits?
-Is there something unusual or a certain way I can take it?
-I would LOVE to have milk+pb and even nuts.
I also would like to be able to use veganese.

2) What makes this harder to get is that when I have Hummus...I have little if any problems...same with Guacomole.
-So why is it I can handle those two fatty foods BUT PB/Nuts/Low Fat Mayo or Vegenese give me all kinds of issues?
-Is there an explanation and what should I do?

3) Experiment again?
-If so how?
-What doeses/ways should I try that least intrusive?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Almond/Soy Milk, PB, Nuts, Bananas, and Mayo Questions!!! new
      #354796 - 01/23/10 05:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are not the only one that finds many things on the EFI diet off limits. And yes it does require a lot of experimentation to figure out what you can handle.

(1) Many of us cannot eat soy products because it causes gas and bloating. It is well-known that many individuals, IBS and non-IBS, cannot handle soy products. You might try taking Beano before eating soy products.

(2) I have no problems with almond milk.

(3) As for PB - I can handle about 1-2 teaspoons per day and that is about it.

(4) Like many other IBSers I cannot handle seeds and nuts even if they are finally ground. Too much IF.

(5) Semi ripe bananas (yellow with some green) are fine for me but under-ripe bananas (green) causes C and over-ripe (yellow & brown) bananas can cause gas, bloating and even D.

(6) Mayo of any kind gives me problems. I stay away from it.

Question. I have read many of your posts. It seems that almost daily you are making changes to your diet. Many of the changes seem to center around the need for protein for body building. Have considered forgetting the body building requirements for a months while you get IBS symptoms under control using a simple stripped down version of the EFI where you make one change perhaps every 3-4 days?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354802 - 01/23/10 09:50 AM
Naturapanic

Syl....many of my posts you and LM make comments on.
Thank you for taking time and doing it, your information is quite helpful.

Only this week have I focused on the BB diet....I really need the protein because as it stands now I am at a deficency which is not good for muscles.

Questions for you:
1) What happens when you pass 1-2 TBSP of PB? Do you instantly and rapidly get a negative reaction?
I can recall in the past...that I could handle SOME PB...but because it tastes so good...I lacked the self control...would quickly go for 2nds and 3rds...and screw up my body for a few days.
I just decided it was not worth the temptation.
Is that common with IBSers?

2) What makes mayo confusing....why is it I can handle hummus and guacomole (both of which have fat) but not mayo?
What makes the fat based mayo so much harder and different?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354809 - 01/23/10 10:46 AM
Syl

UCLA has a good article on protein and how much you need for building muscle.

Check the table at the bottom of the 3rd page. Muscle building requires 0.8 grams/day of protein per lbs of weight. So if you weigh 170 lbs you need about 136 grams of protein per day.

Immediately after the table there is an interesting section that says "As you can see, active individuals--especially those trying to build muscle--do need more protein than sedentary persons. But, contrary to what many body building magazines and Internet sites suggest, protein powders and amino acid supplements are unnecessary and a waste of money. It is very easy to meet your protein needs with moderate portions of real food. In fact, the average adult consumes almost twice the RDA for protein without even trying."

You should be able to get all the protein you need from the chicken, turkey, fish, seafood and egg whites in your regular meals without adding any protein supplements.

1) Almost everyone is tempted to eat sweet, salty and fatty foods not just IBSers

2) Mayo contains other things not just fat that could be a problem. For example, if check the ingredients for Hellman's mayonnaise. It contains canola oil, water, liquid whole eggs, vinegar, liquid yolk, salt, sugar, spices, concentrated lemon juice and calcium disodium EDTA. The ingredients in bold are IBS triggers - note that since the spices are not given you have to be suspicious of which spices are included. Onion and garlic powder are definitely problems for me.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#354813 - 01/23/10 11:08 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IMO if you are prone to bloating any time you eat it can cause bloating. The act of eating causes bloating. Being you are C there is no reason to avoid nut products or mayo.

Yes soy milk can be filling and gas producing. You can build up a tolerance but you might as well try rice or oat milk instead. Protein powder is very heavy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354815 - 01/23/10 11:12 AM
Little Minnie

Remember Syl gets D and you get C. So a little too much fat or IF will give D people D. But a little IF and fat within the guidelines for C people is fine (as long as they believe it ). The guidelines are for about 1/3 cals from fat and no more each meal. I can handle that much whether it be from nuts, oil, avocadoes etc. Make sure you aren't too skimpy on the fat (as in going nearly FF) because it does not help C. Keep in mind that when D prone people tell you they can't eat something it may not be bad for you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354952 - 01/27/10 11:25 PM
Naturapanic

Syl

1) Thanks for the article. I can not get 135 grams without supplements. I really can not handle egg white/beaters on a regular basis (causes trapped gas and bloating).

2) Interesting...so the fact I can handle hummus but not mayo is likely due to mayo having egg yolks NOT so much the fat.

LM
1) I wish I could have PB or nuts, but they really cause an immediate reaction of bloating...much more pronounced than what hummus would.

2) What about Almond Milk?

3) Do you not like Egg Powder? It's the best way for me to get protein.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354957 - 01/28/10 07:19 AM
Syl

A 100 grams serving of lean turkey sausage with an egg white omlet for breakfast, and 150 grams of chicken breast, turkey or fish for lunch and dinner will give you about 100 grams of protein and the remaining 35 grams would come from bread, pasta, rice, humus, potato, sweet potato, etc. A regular can of salmon or tuna contains about 50 grams of protein. With care and planning you should be able to get all the protein you need from you meals without a supplement. In addition proper food will give you additional vitamins and minerals which you likely won't get from a supplement.

If you cannot handle egg white/beaters on a regular basis how do you handle the egg protein powder supplement you use? The protein comes from the egg whites.

--------------------

#355072 - 01/30/10 06:17 PM
Naturapanic

Syl...I've actually this week started to develope that problem again.

I can handle Egg Powder (EP) and Egg beaters to an extent...but it seems as I have more and more I think it gives me bloating/trapped gas.

My question
1) Can this happen?
2) What are my choices since I NEED 200 grams of protein a day?
I don't want to be at a protein deficit nor do I want to get the protein but cause IBS issues.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355078 - 01/31/10 05:26 AM
Syl

Now I am confused. In the previous email you said you need 135 grams of protein which means you weigh 160 lbs at the recommended 0.8 gr/lb. Now you say you need 200 grams which means you weigh 250 lbs at the recommended dose of 0.8 gr/lb. What is you weight?

Yes - whole egg powder contains egg yolk as well as egg white protein which could give you bloating. Egg yolk are on Heather's do not eat list.

Stick with protein from chicken, turkey, fish and seafood from your meals. There is no need to take a protein supplement - you can get all the protein you need for muscle building from meals.

--------------------

#355079 - 01/31/10 06:46 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Have you tried rice protein powder. I use Nutribiotic plain rice protein mixed with rice milk. I am ibs-d (pseudodiarrhea) not c so i am not sure this would work for you.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355126 - 01/31/10 05:46 PM
Naturapanic

Which Rice Protein Powder?
Most of the ones I heard of were Brown Rice...which I know I could not handle.

I did find online white rice http://gnhealthfoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=260&zenid=540d5a424be05bf5bfa1a4a43f264469 and even pea protein powder http://www.amazon.com/Pea-Protein-Unflavored-2-lbs/dp/B001DB4MFO/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3.

I am curious, what is your opinion?
Do you think these are more likely to be IBS friendly if I get problems when taking Egg White Powder too much?
Or is it same old?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355127 - 01/31/10 06:08 PM
capricorn1942

i am ok with brown rice protein (Nutribiotic brand) but the one you found is made from white rice. rice is supposed to be very non-allergenic and in my experience does not cause much gas. of course, rice is "binding" and so might not be good for ibs-c.

--------------------

#355131 - 01/31/10 09:54 PM
Naturapanic

I don't see how Brown Rice could be tolerated...since it is IF.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355132 - 01/31/10 10:27 PM
capricorn1942

both brown and white rice are higher in protein than any other grain except quinoa. the protein is extracted attempting to leave the rest behind. some bran may come along with the protein from brown rice but not much and i can tolerate that small amount of rice bran.

--------------------

brown rice new
      #355148 - 02/01/10 12:34 PM
Little Minnie

First off Naturapanic, don't be too afraid of IF. You already eat some and defend it. IF is necessary and especially good for C- with some SF. The protein powder has taken just about everything out except the protein.
My question has always been why is there protein in rice powder and none in rice milk? I hate that there is no protein in rice milk!

Many people are great with brown rice BTW. I just dislike the taste unfortunately.

--------------------

Re: brown rice new
      #355187 - 02/02/10 05:47 PM
Naturapanic

Well...three questions.

1) I went on a bodybuilding site and was SCOLDED for suggesting that I stop using Egg Powder and switch to Rice or Pea Powder. They claim
Quote:

-First of all, the rice protein is complete garbage. don't use it.

-Second of all, Pea Protein has a very poor usability score or biologigal value (bv), meaning you will only be able to use about 50% of what you eat, verses 100% with egg protien.

-There is more. Pea protien has NONE of the of the gwroth factors contained within egg protien, which are necessary for optimal growth. This is one of the primary reason animal protien is so much better at stimulating growth.

-Also, it is very low in the aminos that are the most critical for growth. This is very important, as surplusses of certain aminos can stimulate growth. Pea protien does a job of it.

So my question...if trying to build muscle...would Rice/Pea Protein indeed be worthless since it has a lower biological value (bv) and is an incomplete non-animal protein?

2) I am very cautious with Brown Rice...I know in the past when I have had some organic cereals that have brown rice flour they have caused me to bloat.
This is why I am afraid to try brown rice powder-I fear since I do not respond well to brown rice flour this would be the same.
Fair point or worth the try?

3) Which do you think would be most tolerable for an IBS C and B person like me....who has sensitivity?
-Brown Rice/White Rice/or Pea powder?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355323 - 02/05/10 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

When you bloat a lot like you and me, can you really say something made you bloat? The same foods one day can be eaten without so much bloat and the next day the bloating could be horrible. I think rice powder, like rice milk, is the most tolerable. I don't know how good of a protein it is though.
If you want a tip for building muscle it is this: do manual labor as much as possible. Dig, lift, chop etc. That is what Jason Statham does for his workouts (and Rocky in Rocky IV). Jason Statham is the Transporter guy, yum!

--------------------

Edited by Little Minnie (02/05/10 05:12 PM)

#355326 - 02/05/10 07:46 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't speak to 1), but re: 2) and 3), I believe that rice is the only grain that doesn't produce gas. However, it is very constipating for some people (like me), which would cause bloating. I also find brown rice protein powder makes me C.

I think I mentioned this to you already but I eat hemp protein, I find it very tolerable.

Best of luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#355341 - 02/06/10 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

I'm trying to remember last summer when I did rice protein. I seem to think I pooped much more than normal, not less.

--------------------

#355370 - 02/07/10 01:47 PM
Naturapanic

LM...here is my question. To grow muscle you need to have at least 1 gram of protein per day. So I need at least 175 grams a day.

I can get 50 at lunch and dinner. However, how I am supposed to get the rest if I CAN NOT have protein shakes like you suggested?
I don't want to have canned tuna more than 1X per day (due to mercury and taste).

So again, how can I get my protein in?
I have no doubt the egg protein powder is exacebberating my symptoms as I have been much more C and B lately.

I ordered Pea Protein...now 2 drinks of those a day...is that really not recommended? You keep telling me that protein drinks exabberate IBS since they are dense.
So would switching to Pea Protein really make it easier and if not...what do I do to get my protein?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355380 - 02/07/10 07:03 PM
Little Minnie

Well I guess you have to pick the lesser of two evils don't you? Yes protein powders may not be super IBS safe, can you still drink them? sure, but be prepared for yuckiness.
I am soon starting up on them again. 1 per day. Unfortunately the store where I bought soy yogurt no longer carries it. I should be able to get a case at the store where I work and freeze it. I think the soy yogurt makes them creamier and I like the cultures.
If the shakes bother you maybe you could try 1 eating egg whites or 2 blending nuts into the shake instead of powder.

--------------------

#355381 - 02/07/10 09:41 PM
Naturapanic

So what you're saying is this really stinks.
Either I don't have the shakes and thus the IBS is better (but not gone) but I am protein deficent and pretty much wasting time in the gym (if you don't eat enough protein...it actually is HARMFUL to your muscles if you lift).

Or...I can get my protein but the IBS will be aggrevated.
Is this what your are saying?

You do not think even switching to a different powder, Pea, is going to make a difference?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355407 - 02/08/10 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

IBS isn't fun.
I have no idea what pea protein even is. But I still think you can get enough protein from a good diet; protein in general is not a trigger food. And you may handle one dose of powder per day. Plus I have said it many time, start slow and increase. You can try to be more patient about it.

--------------------

#355444 - 02/09/10 01:19 PM
Naturapanic

You really would not think protein powder would be a trigger.
I don't get why Egg Protein Powder 2-4 times a day would be.
I also don't get why you need to increase it slowly...since it is not like increasing Benefiber/Acadia.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355446 - 02/09/10 01:42 PM
Naturapanic

LM....how do I get 175 grams spread out without protein shakes.

50 at lunch+50 dinner.
Were do I get 25+ at breakfast if no shake or egg beaters?
This is what has me stumped.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355515 - 02/10/10 05:06 PM
Little Minnie

I'll answer both posts here.
There is just something about the powder that is so filling it leads to discomfort. This doesn't mean it is unsafe any more than a big glass of soy milk is. Definitely don't take more than one serving to start. But you were the one that was saying they were bothering you, not me. I don't care if you use it. I take one serving in the morning, half the year. But if I feel it isn't settling well, I'll stop it for a while. It is at your discretion. But it is never good to start eating a lot of something without ever having it before. So if your body can handle one serving, try that. Maybe later you could try two. But if you can't handle one, don't take any.

Now why can't you eat egg whites or egg beaters? That is the best idea because it is a lot of protein and more filling than a shake (I had one yesterday and unfortunately was hungry soon after). If the protein shake bothers you try an almond milk based smoothie with nuts, fruit and silken tofu in it instead of powder, same amount of protein, cheaper and better for you. Then have one for dessert. I like to make a smoothie or ice cream like this: a frozen ripe banana, a big glob of PB, silken tofu (1/2 pack), soy/almond milk and agave syrup or maple syrup. It is dessert but nutritious enough for breakfast. It would have about 25g of protein.
You can find safe turkey jerky, nuts and seeds like pepitas, soy cheese, granola bars, etc as long as they are eaten with SF. I don't know what protein amount you are at now but if you can get 50 at lunch and dinner, 25 at breakfast and easily get 25 more in snacks that is pretty good.
Remember in all this that protein itself naturally takes more work to digest. That doesn't mean it is unsafe but could tax your system and make it lash out at some point, so to speak. there are people that eat so much protein their bodies work so hard to digest it they end up breaking down. It can happen to people on Atkins diet. But you aren't avoiding carbs like them so hopefully your body will have the fuel to digest all the protein. I still recommend increasing gradually to 175. Try setting a timeline of like 2 months to get there so your body gets used to it. How about that?
I hope this answers things.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review